Failure to Exercise Due Care conviction?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LTCtrucker, Jun 23, 2009.

1. LTCtrucker

LTCtrucker Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Georgia
    In Feb I was charged with DUI but plead to "Failure to Exercise Due Care" so there is no DUI on my driving record. Failure to exercise due care is a distracted driving charge...like talking on cell phone....it carries a 3 point penalty on driving record....record is otherwise clean......a defensive drivers course will get the 3 points removed...

Is this a significant thing for someone considering going to a truck driving school?:biggrin_25511:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. larryh31

larryh31 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Washington, DC 20032
    I would take the defensive driving course to get the points removed from your record ASAP. Even after you finish the class, it may take your state motor vehicle office several weeks to update your driving record. In this current job market, you do not want any negatives on your application when apply for a job. There are just too many other people out there also looking for a job without any issues.

4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can take a course to remove points or violations from your records in a CMV. Best to check it out.

5. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    since he said he was thinking about "going to school" i assume he doesn't have a CDL yet. So, he should be able to get the points off, but i dont think the charge comes off his DMV record, just the points

6. KO1927

KO1927 Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    NH
    You are correct. No violations can be removed. I'd cite the statutes from my fresh manual but I seem to have misplaced it.

7. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    YES, IF he had a CDL already, it appears he DOES NOT yet.:biggrin_25525:

8. KO1927

KO1927 Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    NH
    Ah. Yes, he best get that taken care of before the CDL then.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.