Fan won't stop spinning help!!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Trayn8387, May 3, 2016.

1. Trayn8387

Trayn8387 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I have a 97 freight liner century class trying to figure out why the fan won't stop spinning fan clutch is not leaking air the fuse is good and I just changed the air over electric solenoid and AV high pressure switch don't know what to do now

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    does the fan lock and unlock when turning the key off and on? If you can not spin the fan with the motor off, It may have locked up. Also take the air line apart to see if the switch is sending air to the fan hub. I had a Horton fan that would not stop, several shops could not figure it out, and it turned out the solenoid was getting stray electricity from the third wire on the alternator, unhooked the wire and fan stopped. When testing, there was always electricity, (although weak) at the solenoid, after unhooking the third wire from the alternator it stopped. It started when I replaced the alternator, so something was bad in the new alternator. Took a visit to St Cloud Freightliner to find it. This was in a 96 FLD120. Detroit Series 60

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  4. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
  5. Trayn8387

Trayn8387 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2013
  6. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    What kind of fan clutch is it? If you can't identify it, post a picture of it so we can.

7. Trayn8387

Trayn8387 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2013
    It's a kyser I got it from fright liner brand new about a year ago but I checked the selonoid and something is stopping it from sending air to the fan clutch

ramblingman Thanks this.
  8. GrapeApe

Jan 7, 2013
    Did you unplug it and put power and ground directly to the solenoid? When you do that, the fans should release. If it does, then the solenoid and air supply are good, then you have a wiring or switch issue.

There's a few things that could cause the fan to stay on, an A/C problem is a common one. Do you know if the ECM is controlling the fan, or does it have a separate switch? Could be set up either way on a 97.

lilillill Thanks this.
  9. Trayn8387

Trayn8387 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I'm gonna try that and I have no manual switch so it has to be controlled by the ecm

10. GrapeApe

Jan 7, 2013
    A manual switch doesn't mean anything, you can have that either way. Either the ECM controls the fan solenoid based of the coolant temp sensor, or there is a separate sensor that controls it. Switch was a poor choice of words, I should have said sensor (which is this cases would be a temperature controlled switch).

11. Trayn8387

Trayn8387 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Oh ok thanks I'm gonna change the coolant sensor and see what it does and I'm gonna check the solenoid like u said and see what happens thanks again I ll let u know what I come up with

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.