FAST Card or Passport

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by terryg247, Jun 11, 2015.

1. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    My carriers ctpat approved but they don't require me to have a fast card.. I just have a passport

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Get both. As a rookie having a fast card can open doors to a job! If you have a fast card it is accepted for hazmat in the usa.

upnorthwpg Thanks this.
  4. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Brucesmith is correct. You can't pull hazmat on a passport only.

5. pmcfee

pmcfee Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2014

No, not true. As long as you use the non-FAST lanes, you can cross a fast load.

6. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    As a citizen of ANY country, you should ALWAYS have a passport for that country. Whether your a truck driver, a plumber, or a heart surgeon. It can come in VERY handy in numerous applications. JMHO.

7. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been exploring a lot of companies and most are asking for the driver to be Fast approved. I guess I am going to just apply for both and hopefully not have to wait too long for them to get approved. Thanks for the advice it has been helpful

8. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    They want you to be flexible. If they get a load to the states, they want drivers that can pull them

9. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    It would help to know what you'll be doing.

In my case, I run as a married team and our company has lots of hazmat team freight in Chicago they want us to get FAST cards for.

Problem is, Chicago royally blows. We never pick up team freight there, we always lose a day getting loaded and end up taking the load 500 miles to Toronto and lose another day dealing with jerks there.

So we are avoiding it and may leave this job iffy becomes mandatory, since it will effectively destroy our ability to earn money.

10. terryg247

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Just starting school to get my AZ. Want to give myself the most options when it comes to graduating and finding a place to work

11. terryg247

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I found this on their website:

Under the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, FAST members who are Canadian or U.S. citizens can use their FAST membership card as an alternative document to the passport when entering the United States by land or water. Permanent residents of Canada or the United States still require a passport and visa (if applicable) to enter the United States.

I applied for mine almost three weeks ago and it is still pending review

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.