Father/Son new drivers need your help quick!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zulu1King, May 28, 2015.

1. Zulu1King

Zulu1King Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    Hey guys/gals.
    My son and I have decided to change our career paths and go into truck driving and we need your help deciding which company would be the better fit for us.
    Quick facts about us:
    1. No CDL's
    2. Clean driving records
    3. I am a Vet my son is not
    4. Currently in NC
    5. Looking for a company that will pay for our training
    6. Obviously pay is a factor
    7. Looking to be company drivers at this point I think!

Try to help us steer clear of the nightmare companies out there and please explain yourself why a company is good or bad.

P.s. So far we've be contacted by Swift Transportation if you have any info on this company PLEASE share.

Thanx for all your suggestions in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Quick ?

What's the hurry ?

4. Zulu1King

Zulu1King Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    Swift can get us in next week but if that's not a good choice we need to know so we can make other plans

123456 Thanks this.
  5. Zulu1King

Zulu1King Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
  6. mushroom1464

mushroom1464 Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    U S A
    Swift can get you in anytime take your time and look at several companies. Just my opinion but I would stay away from CR England and CRST

Puppage Thanks this.
  7. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    My best advice is to enter into this with all of the information that you can gather.
    Trucking is NOT a fairy tale. Being a father/son combo is a plus as you already have a bond built in that is extremely difficult to forge with a stranger or even an acquaintance. You are essentially trusting your life to someone when you go to bed each day.
    Team trucks are designed to MOVE MOVE MOVE... so there will be little time for touring the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls, etc.
    Eating on the road can be VERY expensive ,so you need to plan on a fridge or plug in cooler ($100) to haul your groceries with you. I do this and use a 1qt crock pot lined with foil to heat meals in. I eat for a week what it will cost you to eat in a restaurant for ONE day... and I eat healthily, and well.
    Be prepared for horrendous winter weather. Proper clothing and bedding (0°rated sleeping bag) may just save your life in a breakdown.
    Dress professionally. This doesn't mean suit and tie, but clean jeans , shirt , proper shoes, a shower , and a shave will exhibit a persona to your customers and other drivers that YOU are serious about what you do. There are many out here that are a stye to the profession with their appearance and actions... don't join their club.
    As for the aforementioned hazardous driving conditions... KNOW WHEN TO PARK IT. No load is worth YOUR or someone else's life to push through when you know you're beyond your capabilities.
    Lastly, get a year or two experience under your belt and better opportunities will be there for you. I work for a NC company hauling furniture from NC to CA drop and hook/terminal to terminal for teams splitting .54 mile...hub miles, not practical. You need 2 years SAFE experience and willing to run , but if you do the math, that's 4700 miles in 3.5 days ÷ .54 = $2538 or $1269 each.
    Good jobs are there. Protect that license. Be a pro. Pay your dues and learn , then reap the benefits.

Good luck.

Puppage Thanks this.
  8. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Please hold off and do some more research. The turnover in trucking is 100%+.

Puppage and 123456 Thank this.
  9. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Swift was good for me. I had a trainer I loathed, but o
    Swift was good for me. I loathed the trainer I was assigned, but toughed it out, got a truck, been on the road 3 years. (retread driver) They've upped their pay, good miles and steady work. I'd say get in there and get started.

I heard an ad from Trans America, training reimbursement, so on. You'll be a new driver anywhere you go, and nobody is going to hold your hand, so - good fortune to you.

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Why would you want to destroy your relationship with each other by doing this teaming thing? ...
    I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not but it will certainly test the relationship and add a new dimension to it, for better or for worse.

kimbosa Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.