Federal diabetes exemption?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by icex, Jul 17, 2015.

1. icex

icex Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I just mailed out my diabetic waiver. I had a state waiver so I put a copy of that in with the paperwork. The only thing that concerns me is on the medical examiners form (which was used to get the state waiver) shows 250 mg glucose in the urine. I was getting over the flu and the medication I was taking was making my sugar go a little higher than nornal. This was in April.

The state never said anything about it, so should I be ok with the federal waiver? Endocrinologist was pleased with the past 2 months sugar levels and signed off on it and included a copy of the logs with the report.

jmick60 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Beyond my pay grade.....good luck:rolleyes::)

4. icex

icex Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2013
    No problem. It is a process and headach to go through!

5. taxihacker66

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    You could move up here to Canada as we let anyone drive:Camels: :cool::p

6. icex

icex Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I am actually interested in hauling out of the us into canada. Is there a website I can find information about canadas medical requirements?

7. taxihacker66

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
  8. taxihacker66

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    I have limited knowledge of the diabetes wavier here although I do know that people with certain diabetes can drive commercially here in Canada. I believe it's Diabetes # 2. Also we have reciprocity with the US. So if you have a valid cdl in the US it generally means you can drive in Canada with that license.

9. icex

icex Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks for the info.

Has anyone went through the exemption process? How long of a process was it for you? Any input is appreciated

10. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    USA type 1 diabetes waver is not good N. of us.

11. blazblu82

blazblu82 Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    To the OP, I applied for and was exempted for a short period. I can tell you that having a 250 mg/dl should not be an issue. The Waiver program requires one's blood sugar to be within 100 to 400 mg/dl. Anything outside that range and you cannot drive until rectified. I believe DOT is more concerned about having problematic lows (ie: severe hypoglycemia/passing out). Also keep in mind, that while you are ON DUTY, you must check your blood sugar every 2 to 4 hours.

You will likely find yourself having to battle your doctor some. If he/she is anything like mine, they will want you to tow that 100 mg/dl line as much as possible. Also, even though it says in the paperwork that the exemption process could take up to 6 months, do not reply on that. Mine took 9 months and I already had another by then, which was one of the reasons I let mine drop. The other reason involves all the extra work just to keep the exemption: yearly education classes, eye exams, and quarterly check-ups with diabetes doctor. Even though DOT does allow for lee-way, it may not be enough considering how difficult it can be to line up your home time with a doctor's appointment.

Good luck!

jmick60 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.