FedEx - Whats Up?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Mr_Fantastic, Feb 2, 2008.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I just find it strange that people are getting payed above average and have plenty of time, but still feel the need to break the law and drive like a four-wheeler who overslept and is late to work.

So either they are inconsiderate of other motorist, unprofessional, and unlawful or they are not given sufficient time to drive the load lawfully. Which is it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wolfin

Wolfin Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    most of the drivers from both companies are hired from with-in the companies like from route drivers and mostly dock workers going through the company training like swift, crengland, ect. ect., the only time both companies will hire outside driver is for Christmas season and they will tell you that it is a temp driving job they only hire 1 outside driver to 8 company workers getting into driving!!! and yes they have x amount of time to get from point a to point b no exceptions!!!

4. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I have heard the exact same thing and know for a fact they hire outside but it is hard to get these jobs cause you have a lot of people wanting to move up.

Kinghunter

5. Redwolf

Redwolf Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2007
    IL
    It must be a corporate culture. When I was flying night freight, (hauling it, flying it, there seems to be a pattern here....) alot of the FedEx feeders would fly into stuff they shouldn't. Heavy icing, cutting the corner on a thunderstorm, really stupid stuff.
    I shot an instrument approach behind a FedEx feeder one night and wound up having to execute a missed approach because I couldn't find the runway. He "saw" it and landed anyway. Yeah right.
    Strange pattern doncha think?

Their company planes are very safe and well maintained. Can't say the same for their contractors though.

6. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Well to me it seems like lots of people are seeing the same driving styles...wreckless. So its not just a driver here and there, it seems to be a company problem. Heck I just saw another doubles set of Fed Ex trailers when I left town today being towed by a tow truck, don't know where the tractor was. Ok so Im losing count now:
    4 wrecks seen by me personally
    1 seen by a fellow driver last week.
    1 seen by my wife last night
    1 today...
    7 Fed Ex doubles over a SINGLE 100 mile stretch. Over the last 2 1/2 months. Thats scary...even Swift does a better job of keeping the shiney side up.

7. steelerfan67

steelerfan67 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Lebanon, pa

For one thing if your in CA that explains it, Everyone drives like an idiot out there. CA should be a country in itself. I happen to be in PA and can legally drive 65. So instead of branding all Fed Ex Drivers maybe you should clarify that your talking about the ones in Ca. Not everyone drives like you people out there.

8. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC

Not just the drivers out west--I used to constantly travel 81/95 and some (not all ) of them drive just as fast/wreckless on the east coast as well. I am not saying all but i seen many drive wild up there too. Everyone says the same thing--they barely got time to get to their destination.:biggrin_25513:

9. steelerfan67

Dec 5, 2007
    Lebanon, pa
    There are bad drivers everywhere Fed Ex Just happens to be a high profile name. I have run otr and dedicated runs for Fed Ex and yes you get X amount of time to get from A to B and it is more then sufficent, they just don't give you time to s**** off in truckstops.

They also do not hire package handlers to drive truck, each contractor hires who ever they want. The question is if Fed Ex will aprrove them. It takes approx 4 weeks to get approved and they have the final say not the contractor.

I hoped that has cleared up some of the fallacy that I have read here.
    Speaking of I 81 I do not know how many times I had being driving the speed limit and you have these scared big company drivers like swift going 50mph That is an accident waiting to happen.

10. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC

I am definitely not disputing you there! There is good and bad in all no doubt. A lot of company's these days are governed # 62 though thanks to the fuel prices. I never attempted to get on with FedEx--although a contractor tried to call me once to work for them but I have no desires in 16 hour days. I would just as soon do OTR myself. As the saying goes--not everyone fits behind a steering wheel of a truck and some people are just wreckless.

Good luck to you anyways. :biggrin_25525:

11. steelerfan67

Dec 5, 2007
    Lebanon, pa
    I don't dispute what you say, yes there are some bad Fed Ex Drivers out there just like every other company. There are many drivers that should not drive a 4 wheeler let alone a truck. I just get offensive when people group a whole together.:biggrin_25516: My truck is governed at 71 I don't need to go any faster then that, I usually stay at 65 but that extra is nice if you need it. That is what most Fed Ex Trucks are at. I work 8 hrs a day and avg over 20.00 dollars an hour and sleep in my bed, I can not complain.

Gook Luck with OTR and not all doubles drivers are reckless!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin_25512:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.