Few Questions, Tips or Help would be great

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jon McDonald, May 25, 2015.

1. Jon McDonald

Jon McDonald Bobtail Member

May 25, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Hello all,

My name is Jon. I am a Navy veteran. I have been out of the service for about 2 years now going to school. Although I am grateful for the opportunity to go to school, I know that it is not what I want to do. I don't want to sit in an office and do paperwork for the rest of my life. I love driving and for a few years have been thinking about becoming a truck driver but just haven't ever acted on that thought. I have finally decided that its what I want to do. I am currently living in Central Florida in the Orlando area. It seems that I have quite a few options for schooling. The three that I am currently considering is going to Roadmaster in Orlando, TDI in Sanford, or one of the community colleges around here. I actually went into TDI and have an "interview" and they told me I could start anytime. Its a $6000 tuition but I'm not to worried about the price considering I will be using my veterans benefits. There are a few questions that I am really trying to find out. The recruiter at TDI gave me the whole lecture how I will have job offers within the first couple weeks of schooling. This sounds all fine and dandy but my question is, when these job offers come to me, are they recruiting for this area? Or do these companies give you job offers but you may have to move? I have a family, so would like to stay exactly where I am. I know this question has probably been asked thousands of times, but strait out of a school, what is a realistic salary I can expect for the first year? I don't expect to make great money the first year and realize that you have to pay your dues before you have options for better companies. If OTR is all that i get offered, then I do not have a problem doing it, although the instructor at TDI said they do have local jobs and regional jobs open and that is what I would prefer. Thank you guys for your help in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Thank you for your service.

You will have job offers prior to finishing school. There are many facets of trucking other than typical long haul over the road. If you want to go and travel the country, it is a great way to do it while earning a decent paycheck. However, it does get old and repetitive. There are many good paying local jobs where you can be home daily. I think it is drtydiesel on here works in Jacksonville and did just this. You won't get rich in trucking but it can be a decent career choice. You could make anywhere from I'd say 30-50 grand your first year. All segments are different.

blairandgretchen and Jon McDonald Thank this.
  4. JMichael

JMichael Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    I know guys that are rich from trucking . Most started with one truck , including the big mega companies

Jon McDonald Thanks this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you want to stay in that area, I would look for companies in that area. There has to be local or regional companies in your area. I don't know much about that school you're talking about, but it seems as if their agenda is to have you sign on with certain bottomfeeder companies. So take what they say with a grain of salt.

Before you sign up for school, beat the bushes for trucking outfits in your area. Let us know what you find.

Jon McDonald Thanks this.
  6. JMichael

JMichael Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    I started at 19 1/2 cents a mile , 22 years ago . Never made less than 40 k , as a linehaul driver ( home every day and off weekends ) I made about 55 to 60 k . Tankers the same , regional . If in fla get into tankers ASAP , so you can be home and earn a consistent living . As an owner operator it's up and down , with rates and repair and cost . I gross over 200 k a year , that was six years with Jack kelley and my new lease . In a non catastrophic year I expect 51 % pre tax profit . Ideally if you go this route , you pay off the first one and hire a driver to drive your second and third and ...etc. Personal authority is easy to get , then its just a competition game for freight

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.