Fifth wheel covers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 4wayflashers, Oct 26, 2016.

1. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Anyone use them if parked bobtail in a winter snow/ice event? Seems like itd be a greasy mess but was interested after a driver said he saw a guy drop a trailer due to ice buildup in jaws of fifth wheel. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    I have used one on a show truck, it can suck with the grease, garbage bags are your friend & as long as only the plate is covered in grease its no problem & your cover will not get dirty.

(Just a FYI as we are talking about 5th wheels if you use a kingpin lock on your trailer put a Walmart bag around the pin to keep lock clean also.)

Big Don, 4wayflashers and VTech Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I use my old condoms. They're a tad big for the job, but bungie cords keep them in place.

4wayflashers Thanks this.
  5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    In 19 yrs, I've only had one drop in the winter and that's cause I couldn't do a proper "tug" test without getting stuck. Luckily it was empty. We just make sure they are well greased and to clean the snow/ice/sludge off before hooking to something, and then doing multiple tug tests before going anyplace.

4wayflashers and Big Don Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If one works at a place where dropping your trailer and parking bobtail is standard operating procedure, then it is absolutely a good idea to cover your fifth wheel in advance of a winter storm. Trash bags will work for that, as well as a piece of plywood or something.

Otherwise, you'll only wind up having to chisel ice out of it, and not doing this can have catastrophic consequences.

4wayflashers, Big Don and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Personally, I liked the cardboard for covering the fifth wheel. Of course, that could be a two edged sword as well, if you were away from the truck, and the cardboard got wet, then froze. I personally never had that happen, but then I was never away from my truck, without a wagon on it, that much.

4wayflashers Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.