Fifth wheel height

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by EZ Money, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If the trailer was full it wouldn't do jack....... And it also helps cut down on heal .

EZ Money Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Being this truck is brand new the boss wasn't crazy about buying 8 new drives in 24.5...
    It has a Jost fifth wheel so I have the shop checking about taller legs for it.
    Boss said no on the square tubing because of liability if I was ever in an accident...

This may get expensive no matter what way we go..

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Are the trailer tires the same size as tractor ?

You could always cut the load :(

5. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    @EZ Money It will work unless you're domed out. But if I remember right you had a post on here somewhere saying you haul around 5K in a 7K tank? Maybe I'm imagining things. We did this to an entire fleet and several contractors trucks, same situation. The trucks were hitting 35.5K on the drives and 31.5K on the trailer. A few adjustments as described and it was balanced out much better. We were able to load an additional 300-400 gallons per load. Despite what terryt thinks we weren't wrong and neither was Archimedes.

Even if you have to go the more expensive route of a new fifth wheel it will be better. I'm sure your company is paid by volume so ROI should justify the modification.

Cat sdp and EZ Money Thank this.
  6. EZ Money

We haul 5200 gallons...so the tank has room....I believe it is a 7000 gallon tank.

Same problem we are having...35k or more on the drives and near 13k on steers...
    I have played with sliding the fifth wheel so many times and that is no improvement of course.

The product we make is 8.1 pounds per gallon so we could load a little more if we got the weights evened out.

Thanks for all the input guys!...

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Mine isn't a jost but it has 8.6" rise. I think they measure that from frame rail to 5th wheel plate.

P.S. Take any container of water and lift one end....

EZ Money Thanks this.
  8. EZ Money

Yep!....low pro 22.5..
    We do have the trailer air bags adjusted down...not much more we can do there...

9. BKLusk64

BKLusk64 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Contact the trailer manufacture and give them the product weight, your fifth wheel height and the height/thickness of the fifth wheel plate. Also check to see you you could move the fifth wheel plate forward and still get all the bolts in holes. Tanker fifth wheel plates come in different height/ thickness to shift weight. Also as one said if its a air ride trailer you can adjust the ride height, but be sure to find out what minimum ride height for the suspension is.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Slide the tandems up. LOL

RockinChair and EZ Money Thank this.
  11. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    you will be luckly to move 300lbs been doing this for years one driver jacked his fifth wheel up six inch moved 400lbs the trailer is 40 foot long you are moving nothing inside trailer again move the fifth plate on trailer. the reason for the 50 inch is for unloading so you have no heel i'm out here let some one tell you something that will not work

EZ Money Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.