Fighting an Inspection

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by bc2013, May 1, 2015.

1. bc2013

bc2013 Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Was wondering if and/or how to fight a violation on an inspection. I was recently pulled over and the DPS officer wrote me up for a mud flap that was damaged. Violation Code 392.2wc. I didnt think it was a problem so I didnt replace it. Below is a pic of it. Maybe I'm wrong but just wanted an unbiased oppinion. Thanks for your time.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    Doesn't look undamaged.

4. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Its damaged. Live with it.

unloader Thanks this.
  5. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Be lucky that's all they found!

misterG Thanks this.
  6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I say its one of those bad calls by the officer. Although technically damaged, it (mudflap) can still perform its intended function.

If I or the company, wanted to fight it, I would. I believe it would be a win-able violation to overturn with a fair/reasonable judge.

If it was torn up to the point it couldn't.... or is likely not.... able to perform its function, ok... but I think this violation is not warranted.

bc2013 Thanks this.
  7. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    While i may agree that its ok…..While its ripped at a point where it needs to be attached to the bracket…..left unchecked, it will continue to rip and fly off going down the road…...

8. Its not one solid piece, thus your ticket.

The DOT can find upward to 400_voilations on a truck just off the assembly line.

Like the other guy said. Be glad it was "Just" a mudflap.

teqntexas Thanks this.
  9. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    it has gotten so bad that no matter what the d.o.t. writes ya up for you'll have people saying you deserve it cause you are in violation of whatever law, no matter how ridiculous the law is. there is no way that mudflap should be written up for. a verbal warning at most. you would likely win if you went to court, they don't expect you to is one reason why they do this. I have never seen the d,o,t, do these kind of things years ago before the states were in the financial red as they now are. it's all about money. 1 day I fought a ticket. took off a day from work drove 100 miles 1 way. went into the court room. the case was continued cause the officer did not show up. said they never expected me A TRUCK DRIVER to show up. it was continued. went back 3 weeks later another day off work.after the officer spoke, I defended my position & told the judge, do you think I would lose 2 day's pay & drive 400 miles to fight a $75.00 if I were in the wrong? yes judge it is the principle, my license is how I make my living I will always fight for my right's. the judge discharged the case, spoke very polite to me & asked to see the officer in his chambers.

mp4694330, DougA, bc2013 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    so knowing that the d.o.t. can write up any amount of bogus violations... if stopped & written up, we should thank them for only writing 1 or just a few instead of many? thank you officer for giving me this violation & not giving me so many others that you can make up!

bc2013 Thanks this.
  11. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Arizona? They love to write tickets for sailing mud flaps and yours probably flaps all over the place at highway speeds.

Why on earth wouldn't you replace it? At least mount it upside down so it is securely fastened. And if you stop backing all the way into curbs, you won't have to keep replacing them either...

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.