Fighting tickets

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by m16ty, Apr 5, 2016.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I'm fairly new here but have been driving trucks over 20 years.

I read on here about people getting tickets all over the country and people fighting and hiring a lawyer for fairly minor offences. Are people driving halfway across the country, hiring a lawyer, and going to court over something like bad tail light?

I guess people are more worried about their driving record than I am. Of the very few tickets I've got in my 20+ years, I just pay it and move on. I have to admit though, I'm not looking for work or hired on with a company that cares about my driving record, unless you count my insurance company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I belong to a drivers legal plan service and pay $15.00 a month, when you receive a ticket it's a flat fee you pay of $100 and they have a lawyer represent you in court.

I've had 2 tickets that they fought and won for me. I'm not concerned about paying the tickets, just like to keep my driving record clean.

eburnett24 Thanks this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've gotten a few tickets in different states. Hired a lawyer,.. never had to show up anywhere. Everything was done online or over the phone.

I am talking about moving violations,.. not something as ridiculous as an inspection violation. I've never been fined for a tail light or marker light out.

Hurst

5. 426yankee

426yankee Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Charlottesville,VA
    I use Legal Shield. 10 bucks a week for wife and I. I have been fortunate so far and have not needed them in the last 3 years. Supposedly, if I get a ticket anywhere, they handle it and I don't have to pay any additional fees. They also offer other legal stuff we could use if needed. I guess it's one of those things that you hope you don't ever need, but you're glad you have it when you need it

6. Subutai

Subutai Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Yea I guess a clean record is pretty important for better employment opportunities in the future.

I have US legal to send a lawyer to court for me, costs $7 a week. About 6 months in I planned on canceling the service, and I swear the day before I called I went through a yellow light in Dallas that went red unusually fast. Saw a camera flash as I went through the intersection and decided the peace of mind I get for $7 is well worth it. I guess I got lucky because I never received a citation.

7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I guess I'm a little unusual compared to most people here. I own the company and while I do drive a truck, we aren't trucking for hire. We only use trucks to transport our equipment from job to job. I wouldn't say I hate driving a truck but it's not one of my favorite things to do, it's just necessary in our line of work. I think it's safe to say that if I quit this work, I won't be looking for a trucking job.

With all that being said, having the driving skills ( and a decent record) is nice to have even if you don't think you'll ever be looking for another trucking job. You never know what the future holds and you may find yourself holding that steering wheel to make ends meet.

8. SANDS8808

SANDS8808 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Hello ,I received a ticket today for improper turn, I was at intersection and the right merge /turn lane was blocked, it was a accident with a few cops there NOT directing traffic, as there was a mile backup from this about 10 trucks and cars started going to intersection and turning right from intersection , well about 4 trucks were stopped by this city cop and he was nasty, he said he was writing us all tickets , and he should have been directing traffic

9. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    That's just crazy.

There is a road you have to turn on to get to our warehouse. It's a 2 lane road with turning lane. The only way to make the right hand turn is to get into the left turning lane. You have to be awfully careful that somebody doesn't try to slip around you on the right, even though your turn signal is blinking for right turn. The only possible way to make that right turn is to get in the left lane, unless they want me to relocate that power pole on the corner for them.

10. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I just got a 10 over ticket
    Fine is $115.
    Worth fighting?
    I dont think so.
    Opinions?

11. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I think so. Certainly don't want a speeding conviction on your driving record.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.