Finally a APU

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by SKL Trailers, Mar 3, 2014.

1. SKL Trailers

SKL Trailers Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Saskatoon,SK
    After freezing many nights this winter I got a APU installed on my truck, I have a 2014 Coronado with all the clean idle BS on it and there is no way to idle it higher than 700 RPM, doesn't cut it in -30c to -40c like we've had so much of this year, I've stopped at many dealers and asked if there was anything I could do and they all said no, they all say get a APU, it also has to be at a certain temp to regen which it would drop below so I would have to wake up and start a regen manually when the truck shut down, I even tried a stick on the pedal to speed it up and after a few mins it shuts right down because it thinks the throttle is stuck, usually after a few hours the engine temps drop so low that the heat just starts to blow like A/C, I've even got out of bed and drove a 1/2 hour just to warm it up and then try to go back to sleep, not a good plan and always tired the next day.

About a month ago I went to my Boss and told him my dilemma, he was great about it, just said go get him some quotes which I did and then let me decide which one I wanted, it was between the Carrier comfort pro and the Thermo king, I decided I liked the Carrier better because it doesn't need a inverter to run truck electronics and its electric heat and sometimes when it was very cold even my webasto heater would just blow cold because the line would freeze, this way I also still have my webasto if I ever need it, also still have my inverter plus the power from the APU.

I went to Tereck Diesel in Winnipeg last Monday to get it installed because there was no one in Saskatoon that does carrier, dropped it off at 9 am and it was done the next day at noon, pretty quick service and they did a very clean install, I then went to Iowa and back to Saskatoon, most comfortable rested week I've had all winter, I love this thing! it will be nice to have A/C in the summer too.

I let it run here Friday night while I was at home just to get the break in hours out of the way so I can get it serviced tomorrow, I went and checked on it yesterday and after a night of -42c and -51c with the wind the interior of the truck was +26, pretty impressive, heres a few pics, it was a pretty tight fit.

[​IMG]

two of the vents

[​IMG]

3rd heat vent on the left, APU plugs left, inverter plugs right, excuse the mess on the floor, my 5 year old went to Iowa with me and I never got a chance to vacuum yet...

[​IMG]

the panel, that blue cord hanging there is just for my microwave

[​IMG]

down side is I lost my luggage storage to the heat\AC unit

[​IMG]

A look under the hood

[​IMG]

I had to wash the truck so it matched the shinny new APU, haha, still looks like crap because everything froze as soon as I pulled out of the wash bay.

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd post this up for anyone who cares to look, I know I've been driving for 6 years and never seen how one worked before, they are pretty sweet!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    How much did the unit cost, fully installed? Any idea how much fuel it burns per hour?

4. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    You would be better off to get a quote state side if you are in California vs comparing money in Canada.

5. SKL Trailers

Feb 21, 2010
    Saskatoon,SK
    It was $11,600 installed, probably a little more than what it would have cost in the US

its supposed to be able to run at full capacity on 2/10's of a gallon per hour, so 5 hours on a gallon, less than that when it's not working very hard.

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The California clean idle is what shuts it down if you idle it up, most of our Cascadias don't have that and they will idle up to the recommended 900 rpm without shutting down, but a few do have it and they will not idle up to 900 without shutting down in 5 minutes.

Glad that your boss is understanding, we don't have even a remote starter, or Opti-idle, let alone an APU.

SKL Trailers Thanks this.
  7. fencitup

fencitup Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Bronx, NY
    Any update on the APU..
    Any unexpected issues? Any advice for others?

8. SKL Trailers

Feb 21, 2010
    Saskatoon,SK
    It's been working awesome, no issues at all and I'm loving the A/C now, I haven't had to do a regen either since I got it and no DPF codes coming up like before either.

9. fencitup

Jan 12, 2014
    Bronx, NY
    Excellent, that's good to hear.

10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Though an APU is a good idea for many folks, I just can't justify the cost. I have run numbers dozens of times, and the ROI is so far out in the future to be virtually non existent. But then, I stay primarily in the upper part of the country. A webasto heater does me just fine. To keep batteries up, a Yamaha or Honda portable does just fine. I ordered every insulation package I could get on my 2013. It is good enough that, even with the nasty winter we just had, I never even had to turn the coolant on to the bunk area all winter long. The cab heater kept the cab and 70" mid roof very comfortable when running, and the Webasto did a great job when I was on a break. For AC, I think I idle, at most, 7-10 days a year. Would not benefit much from a $10,000 investment in an APU.

I do hope the APU you got does a great job and saves you some green!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. fencitup

Jan 12, 2014
    Bronx, NY
    Understood, but...
    Sounds like you own your truck. For a truck owner that has a driver it's a bit different. Just think of all the little things you live with at your home and are still comfortable and happy. Now, those same minor inconveniences you live with without thinking twice about...I'm sure you would change /fix had you had guests over long term or were renting the house to someone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.