Finally good news here in NC for CDL

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I was struggling to find a school or company to only give me the road test for my CDL and not have to take the full course. It's costly close to $2000 and the class hours would interfere heavily with work. Isothermal College or better known as Caldwell College in Lenoir NC told me today that once I pass the CDL written and have it for 14 days I can schedule a one day test for skills in the yard and road test for $300. That is a relief not having to go back to a class for 3 weeks when I already know most of the stuff and have my DOT Med card and other requirements. It's a great weight off my back so if anyone is looking for this option in NC there ya go

Ok have a great day everyone

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    There ya go. That's what I'd do.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Be aware that many companies require a driving course before they will hire you.

Yes, one can get a CDL without attending a school but then may have problems finding s job.

We are from NC too and the program here must be subsidized by the State or something... CCC&TI have some great looking equipment on their lot... and is 1/3 the cost my school was.

The school I attended in Florida would "test" you for a CDL too so it's not that uncommon.

Please let us know how things turn out for you going that route. Might want to call a few companies that you are interesting in working for too. Seems that a 160 hour course requirement is fairly normal.

Good Luck.

5. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks for the reply, I actually have my own authority and currently own my own business, I am only going so I can upgrade my truck to a 1 ton and 2 car hauler. I have my DOT Med Cert and as stated my own authority so I wont be needing job placement. Currently I am with United Road Ready Auto Cars Arrive Montway and a few other major carriers. Got to tell you compliance for Cars Arrive is a royal pain. They want you on Central D for minimum of 90 days before allowing you to transport for them and getting a waiver is simple but the questions and verification process is exhausting. I will let you know how it goes. All the luck I can get is well appreciated.

strollinruss Thanks this.
  6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I almost included "unless you run your own company" to my post... LOL

Well, good luck both in CDL and Business!!!

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.