Fine Tuning Hotshot

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Lil'Bit254, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    I highly recommend 2 piece 8' drop lumber tarps with flaps and ears. You can always use a large tarp on a small load, but not a small tarp on a large load. ;)

Get your lumber tarps with 4 rows of d rings so you won't have a hard time securing a low profile load, or piece of LTL.

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Tell that to the old fat guy in a speedo. . .:eek:
    (Sorry for the hijack.) Sometimes I just can't help myself.:oops:

truckon Thanks this.
  5. Lil'Bit254

Lil'Bit254 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Perfect. So lumber tarps are more versatile then steel? Old fat guys in speedos ---- yuck! Haha

6. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    We use to carry lumber and steel tarps both on our big trucks but it made no sence to carry them on our hotshots. With a hotshot we really don't like carrying any extra weight, and we figured why spend the extra money for a second set when one will do the job. Just the way we see it.

Make no mistake about it, tarping freight sucks. We try to do as little of it as possible.

Lil'Bit254 Thanks this.
  7. Lil'Bit254

Lil'Bit254 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Thanks for all of your information it's been more then helpful! Since we got that down do you have any good advice about scheduling loads. We've been running the east coast for the last week and a half and it seems loads are more plentiful, higher paying then the midwest. Is there a better way then booking a load the day before, I'm hoping to do scheduling a week out, is that unrealistic with HS till you get a dedicated shipper to work for?

8. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    It's not unrealistic, lining a truck out for a week in advance can be done. we manage it here with the help of the right connections. It just takes time to make those connections.

What I always try to do is, I take the most reliable Owner Operators I work with and try to keep them running in the areas where the best Brokers and Shippers I work with have consistent freight moving out of.

In order to book loads up to a week out you'll have to have Brokers and Shipper that like working with you, and enough trucks to service them.

I try not to book loads more than a week out, and usually if I'm asked to rate a load, or loads more than a week out I'll shy away from doing it. I'll tell them to call me back next week. The reason for that is, when you place a rate on something most Brokers, and Shippers will take it as a commitment. I make it a point to never commit to something unless I'm 100% sure I can get it covered. Even when I pre book a load a few days out I always make sure to have more than one truck heading into the area, just in case the truck it's booked for has a problem.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Lite bug Thanks this.
  9. Hot shot head

Hot shot head Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Hey there I'm a new guy starting out with the basic in and out of the business I have looked into the world of hotshot quite a bit over the last month or so and just found your post it seems like you started out with the same thing I have I'm getting my class a cdl in a few days I have a ram 3500 and picking up a new 35 plus 5 today after work I have been on the edge of taking the leap into the business for some time I'm currently working as an independent operator for s&l but it is a long road to nowhere I'm basically just looking for any advice on what to avoid in the beginning to start off on the right foot well that's about it if you have time please contact me at either my email Brandhutto@yahoo.com or I'm open to a call or text also any advice is good advice thanks

Ben from Texas

10. Billy Caldwell

Billy Caldwell Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I have Dodge 3500 and a flatbed gooseneck trailer. I want to get into running hotshot loads, but i'm new to the business, I also have my mc authority number, and DOT. Are there any companies that i can lease on to?

Since I already have my mc number, and DOT would I be better off using load boards, and finding my own loads, and if so, how easy is it to get a load?

11. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Absolutely, keep your MC and DOT active, leasing is a horrible way to go.

This time of year, it can be very tough putting together a decent paying load off of a load board, even for someone that's very experienced at it. It can take a little time to get quick at it.

We just put this LTL load together for one of our owner operators. This all loaded in a area that was flooded with trucks needing loads. Had to be quicker than everyone else out there to grab these pieces.
    image.jpeg
    The first piece was a hydraulic hammer for an excavator.
    image.jpeg
    The second piece was some metal building materials. That's what's under the tarp. Third piece was a Harley Davidson. image.jpeg
    And the fourth piece was a car. image.jpeg

Joseph Godbee and Billy Caldwell Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.