Fine Tuning Hotshot

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Lil'Bit254, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Lil'Bit254

Lil'Bit254 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Hello There,

I started a hotshot company back in May and have been running for a solid two months now. During those two months I have learned a lot; actually A LOT is a understatement. Anyhow, what I have came here to ask is help with fine tuning my operations.
    1. I am need of tarps - but since I only operate a 40' trailer and haul a ride range of material what is the best tarp to use for versatility? I'm thinking of getting a larger steel tarp but I'm looking for some opinion. Should I get a larger tarp that covers everything but have all lot of room left over?
    2. I'm currently using 123loadboard and hotshotcarrier.com ( also includes a few other sites with the one subscription) to find loads. I'm content with those two but I am finding it harder to fill my trailer. I have a good understanding of "hot and cold" states as far a freight goes but what's the best way to fill my trailer? I'm waking up at around 6am central to get a jump start at brokers on the east coast.
    3. I've been getting about 3,500-4,000 a week since I started which I feel is fine - its paying the bills and I'm still making a profit but I think this will jump drastically to about 8 or 9k once I have had my authority for 6 months (I'll be able to haul for more companies like UTI and Select). Does this sound right.
    4. Can someone explain how the fuel surcharge works!

I had more questions but forgot :-/! Please weight in!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
  4. Lil'Bit254

Jul 27, 2015
    Yes. Usually I do mostly LTL loads or just about anything under 20000 lbs. if I haul a TL its usually due to the fact that it's easier for a 1ton dually to maneuver the area then a semi.

5. dodgedemon

dodgedemon Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Lil'bit I'm thinking about getting into this line of work. Ive been doing alot of research but I would like to hear from you since you just started out. Im thinking of getting a 35+5. Im hoping to start out from around the houston area.

6. Lil'Bit254

Jul 27, 2015
    That's what I am running and its doing the trick. I bought mine from Hallettsville - The Trailer Lot. They customized the trailer to what I was wanting - an extra tool box, dunnage rack, ratchet wheels and straps with monster ramps. Cost was very reasonable! One thing I wish I would have done is take more time calling brokers before I started running. If you are running under your own authority and you haven't had it at least 6 months you wont be able to run for UTI and Select Logistics which they have a lot of loads coming from Houston but don't let that discourage you there is still a lot of loads. I think the BEST thing to do is contact Tina from 123loadboard and ask for a trial of their loadboard. She will show you how to search, do credit checks and etc. I personally like their loadboard over Getloaded and a few others because of how many features you get for the price; and starting out I didn't have 150 dollars to spend on one website. Look at hotshotcarrier.com too.

dodgedemon Thanks this.
  7. dodgedemon

Jul 28, 2015
    Ok thanks, I was thinking of leasing on with a company but dont like the idea of paying 25%. Im goin to do homework and save some money for about another year before i dive in. I'm just trying to find the best direction to take :) Would I be better off using a dispatch and factoring company verses leasing?

8. dodgedemon

Jul 28, 2015
  9. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    thats before or after fuel?
    if that after fuel and insurance, thats a boat load!
    profit is a tricky word haha
    profit before or after expenses (fixed and variable)....that is the question....not... "to be or not to be" hahahah

10. Lil'Bit254

Jul 27, 2015
    Hahaha, very true. That is before fuel which is roughly $550/weekly. In about 1 - 2 weeks I pay all of my payments which is roughly 3500 and that is including putting money aside for up-keep and repairs.

11. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    not a bad living at all...
    once you fine tune it, you should increase by 30% if not more. Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.