Flip axle with stinger

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by CharlieK, Apr 26, 2016.

1. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Is that something that exists? A Tandem axle with a flip, making it a tri-axle... With the ability to add a stinger axle or 2... or 3... behind it?

Everything I've seen that a stinger is mounted to, looks like its a regular tandem or a tri-axle (often with a liftable axle)

Do they exist? Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Just curious, and thinking out loud...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    While I personally haven't seen such a beast (formerly ran a tri-axle -with liftable 3rd, like you describe, and a stinger 4th), I wouldn't doubt they exist.

4. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    They sure do, I pulled one for several years. In Ohio before the axle laws changed that's how we got to 120,000 on 6 axles before we went through longer necks, more 5th wheel slide, and bigger front ends then we could get 120,000 without the stinger. Here is the trailer in tri axle configuration;

image.png

This is the same trailer with the stinger in;
    image.jpeg

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I owned a 55 ton mechanical neck trail king with 29' well detachable wheel area with a 10' deck insert, flip neck, intermediate 3rd flip axle, air spreader bar and 4th flip axle. I could run as 2 axle, closed 3 axle, 2 plus 1 axle, 3 plus 1 axle and 4 axle closed.

the trailer may still be for sale at transwest in denver.

There are trailers out there like this... they may be hard to find and are heavier than traditional 3 axle trailers.

johndeere4020 Thanks this.
  6. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
  7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Yep they are out there like the others have said

8. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    johndeere4020: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot hook the stinger up behind that tri, right? I'm not seeing anything to mount it? Has to be as a tandem to use it?

Rontonio: are all three of those pictures the same trailer? (the first pic and third pic in particular)

9. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    Yes they are.

The important part is you must have a flip axle built as "intermediate" flip axle for the 3rd axle. This will have the exact same attachment points as the back of the trailer so you can mount either the 4th axle or spreader bar to it.

CharlieK Thanks this.
  10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio

That's right, that trailer was either tandem, tri axle, or 2+1. Most trailers aren't set up for tandem stingers until you get over 60 ton. My 55 ton is a fixed tri but it's only is only capable of a single axle stinger.

11. CAT-QBN

CAT-QBN Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2016
    So glad this topic came up....

I meet a pilot driver that was also lease to Bennett at houston yard, he had a kw with a big sleeper and a 55ton XL tri axel with a flip that he can convert into a 3+1 but the fun part is that he kept his stinger mounted in his neck and even if he was using a 4 axel set up (OW of course) he was legal unther permit, he was selling hes rig and i will never forget i didnt make that desicion (mainly couse i drive with the miss) how is this cain of set up call?? Or How can i explain to a saleman that???? Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.