FNG looking to possibly start hauling for hire

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by WHY NOT, Nov 17, 2015.

1. WHY NOT

WHY NOT Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    New guy, my name is Matt
    We currently have to 2 farm semi's that we have used to haul our own grain with but I have been thinking more and more about putting the truck I drive on the road in the off seasons of farming to try and earn some extra cash. Here to find out info what all I need to change and do to be able to do this and what its all going to take. I would like to haul to possible get into a nicer better riding truck since my current Freightliner Columbia kills my back and neck in a days time, but have to make sure I can make the money for a truck payment before I go out and buy a different truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Hi, new guy Matt. It's a tough game to get into. Good luck

4. WHY NOT

Oct 18, 2015
    I have already talked to some local elevators and they do hire out. Also, to get started my input costs will just be the basics no truck payment. With my current set up I can legal 980 bu of corn so it shouldn't take to terribly long to make up the costs of license and insurance on the truck. We already have DOT numbers full CDL with medial cards etc etc. I probably just need to get a fuel tax stamp and maybe a few other little things someone sent me a link I need to read up on to see what all else I will need to add

5. damil

damil Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Do you have a M.C. number if not you can only haul your own grain. inter and intra state authority. it is a whole different can of worms. "local" elevators rarely have enough loads to keep you running full time and if they do it will not pay squat. also look in to what tax advantages you will lose by using your farm tagged truck as a for hire carrier. I have known many farmers who try to get away with using there farm truck as a for hire some go years and get away with it many do not, D.O.T. is not stupid and will hammer you also you will need a lot more insurance then you carry as a farm truck.

6. damil

damil Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    also you will have to start a drug testing program, run logs, you actually have to go through the process of hiring yourself and a ton of recorded keeping.

7. Junkyarddog5958

Junkyarddog5958 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2015
    New guy Matt federal authority cost is $300. You will have few small other fees like UCR and BOC-3 fees. Biggest deals are tags and insurance. Record keeping on drug test program, logs, state miles, state gallons, maintenance files. It's not bad imo if taught correct way to do it. Better be willing to haul rock, fertilizer, etc bc counting on grain will put you on welfare lol.

8. WHY NOT

Oct 18, 2015
    I am already in a drug testing program, I get randoms ever once in a while, so have that covered. I will need to learn how to correctly do log books. I have already checked with my insurance co about what type if increase there will be. Looks like about $1200 a year increase for the truck and trailer. I do have an end dump here as well so if need be I can back haul on some loads. Luckily Im not trying to make a living doing this just trying to make some extra coin using what we already have sitting around. I know we have a UCR number already as well. The tax thing is defiantly something I will look into hadn't though of that. I will have to look into the M.C. number as well. Just seems like a shame to have 2 trucks sitting here and only putting about 12-15K miles a year on them when maybe I can at least make them pay for them selves every year and pay to haul our own grain.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.