Free Tuition?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Sean_Memphis, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Sean_Memphis

Sean_Memphis Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Does Knight offer free tuition for student drivers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
  4. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    Don't think any carrier offers free tuition. Several have programs in place to reimburse Or cover the cost over time though.

Millis Transfer is one with a good reputation.

Sean_Reno Thanks this.
  5. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    Nothing is free in life except some good advice.

If any thing is free, then there has to be a cache too it and may cost you dearly in the long run.

Read the extremely small print and in between the lines and it will save you from a very costly mistake.

If you get a bad feeling about something,
    Trust your feelings and instincts.

Remember this one thing.
    Only humans are stupid enough to run back in to burning buildings for useless junk.
    Every other animals gets the hell out of the burning building as fast as possible.

KandeeKane9 and Sean_Memphis Thank this.
  6. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    When I say free...I mean it doesn't cost any $$...I know there will be strings attached. A few carriers offer free tuition for veterans (Yes, I am a veteran).

7. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    But back to my original question...what does Knight charge for tuition?

8. wentfishing223

wentfishing223 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Binghamton, NY
    Hi Sean,

They do charge but nothing comes out of your pocket. I went to the Knight school. While I was in training I received $400/wk pay, they paid for my room (no room mates, had a room to myself). I agreed to pay $25/week out of my pay when I graduated.

I'd suggest you call a recruiter and they'll give you more detail. Like I said, it's been a year since I graduated so their policy may have changed.

In the past year I've had 5 pay increases, am sitting in a brand new truck (had 310 miles on it when I picked it up) and am taking home about a grand a week. The company has been fair with me, the miles are good, and I have no complaints. Hope this helps.

9. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for the reply!

10. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    Here is a link to Knight's CDL Training Program Information:
    http://www.driveknight.com/pc/Training/Training/CDL/requirements.html

CDL Training Fees [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Trainee fees for Range and Road training (including hotel and transportation)
    [/TD]
    [TD]$3,400
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Trainee fees for Range and road training (without hotel and transportation)
    [/TD]
    [TD]$2,900
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Non-refundable application fee
    [/TD]
    [TD]$100
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Approved trainees who attend the CDL course will sign a training agreement and will be paid a salary, as a Trainee Employee, of $400 weekly.
    CDL training fees can be paid through the following two plans: Plan 1: Trainee CDL training fees paid in full
    Trainees who pay fees in full prior to training will be provided a 10% discount of the Range and Road training fee.

Plan 2: Trainee CDL training fees financed (0% Interest Financing)
    Trainees who elect to finance the remained fees owed will agree to a weekly deduction of $50 from payroll until the balance due is paid in full. The deductions will not start until the Trainee has progressed to driving solo.

** Valid credit cards, money orders or bank checks will be accepted to pay for training. Cash or personal checks will not be accepted.
    Training Cancellation, withdrawal from the course Trainee employment status is at will. All down payments are non-refundable.
    Trainee Employee Dismissal and Withdrawal from the Course Trainee Employees with un-satisfactory progress reports of knowledge and skills during the CDL training process may voluntarily withdraw from the course or may be involuntarily dismissed. Trainees must maintain an average of 80% on each skill at the completion of training. Trainees must pass the state CDL skills test with an average score of 80% or better to obtain their CDL. If a trainee withdraws from the course or fails CDL testing attempts, the trainee may re-apply upon approval of Knight Management. Previous training costs or fees must be paid in full before re-admission to the CDL course is authorized. Trainees whose employment is involuntarily terminated will normally not be eligible to re-apply for the course.
    For more information about our CDL Training, please call 855-266-4914

Sean_Reno and hal380 Thank this.
  11. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    With SWIFT and a few others offering free tuition...I cant see paying Knight $2900+.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.