Freightliner Cacadia ..Cooling ..Fan Clutch issue ??

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Anza Trucker, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Anza Trucker

Anza Trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2014
    2009 freightliner cascadia w dd15 engine ..when loaded ...temp goes disturbingly high ..(gauge needle goes to about the 3 o'clock position) ..then retreats down to 205-210 etc ...I never hear the fan clutch kick in although it must be as the temp drops when it gets to a level ..(again the 3 o'clock position) ...been fighting this issue for about a month now ..then ...I was climbing the cajon pass last week and a hose popped on me shutting me down on the grade ... talking w my boss ..he says that freightliner mech told him the temp action is normal as the fan clutch kicks in at about 223 ..which ..appears to be correct as I monitor the gauge ...just doesn't seem right though ...as the temp climbs to almost the red on the gauge ...and then the hose popped on me ...my company mech said it was an older hose but ..doesn't running the temp that high have an impact on the hose strength? ..running up and down like that would tend to weaken hose(s) integrity...no? ...just looking for answers here as I am hitting the road again today and would like to be prepared for what I think is the inevitable failure ...again
    ..to be clear ..waiting for this to be repaired ...I was slipped into another Freightliner ..2007 Columbia ...and the fan clutch came on ..distinctively ..w the temp staying at satisfactory levels ..so ..I still feel their is something amiss here ...any thoughts from you guys??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Sounds like the Engine Temperature Sensor is not working/burned out. I had a similar situation awhile back going over Vale Summit / Eisenhower. Temporary fix just to get over the mtns was to unplug the cable, Which when unplugged will keep the engine fan running continuously.....Got to the top and plugged it back in and made it to a shop. $156 in parts + $961 in labor + 2 days in shop = SOB !

Anza Trucker Thanks this.
  4. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    2 days?!!! $1200?!!!! Jeez!

drdesl and Anza Trucker Thank this.
  5. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    My 12' Cascadia acted the same way. I just started using the fan switch on the dash when I was pulling hills. It would hold about 190 climbing grapevine at 79k with the fan switch on.

Andreybanyuk and Anza Trucker Thank this.
  6. Anza Trucker

Jan 20, 2014
    Interesting ...i will pass that along ...I'm not completely incapable of turning a wrench or two ...do you know where the sensor is located? ...if too much of an issue I will not attemp though ...thanks for the input Flex ...

7. Anza Trucker

Jan 20, 2014
    I'm driving an 09' ...not sure I have the dash switch ...(sorry to say I dont know everything about this model ...I do know the shutdown over ride though lol..)

8. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Should be a switch somewhere on the dash labeled eng fan. Not saying its there but ive never seen a detroit powered truck that didnt have one. In a pinch you can unplug the fan solenoid on the firewall. That will make the fan run full time.

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If your not getting any warning lights then it's fine, it will shut the engine down if the temp gets to high. Hoses don't last forever either, 6 years is a lot of heat and cool cycles to endure.

10. Anza Trucker

Jan 20, 2014
    thanks to all ...been a few weeks now on the new hose ...I guess it just doesnt sit right with me to see the temp gauge rise to the '3 0'clock' position ...although ...at that position the temp is at approx 225 ...and the fan kicks in at that point and it starts to recede ..I would like to have one of the option switches engage the fan manually ...and hit it at say 210? ...and keep it from dancing with the red line ...ya know? ...anyway ..thanks again truckers! ..stay safe!

11. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    Engine operating temp sounds fine....these new engines heat up for sure. Like someone mentioned, the CEL/SEL will illuminate if it's too hot. Cooling system pressures have increased which allows higher temps without overheating. As far as installing a switch it's fairly easy with Freightliner's multi-plexed cab.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.