Freightliner Fire need advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 1reallybaddayofwork, Feb 11, 2016.

1. 1reallybaddayofwork

1reallybaddayofwork Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I had a 2007 freightliner century class, i put it in the shop after having too many error codes, all related to the fuel management system. They had the truck 3 days and replaced the davco globe and the fuel temp sensor. I drove from Jacksonville Florida 130 miles to Savannah Georgia, the truck exploded on i95, i shut the whole freeway down for 5 hours in aug. I made it out safely but the truck burnt down right in front of me in 20 min, gone..then the fire trucks showed up. The company i leased on for hardballed me into not taking action against the shop because they lease the yard space from the shop. No action ever happened to the shop, my question is can either of those items pertaining to the fuel system cause that type of explosion in the engine. There was an explosion at 65mph i heard parts hitting the pavement, smoke and flames filled the cab,, seemed like turbo may have caught fire or too much fuel was allowed to enter the motor causing it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I don't know the specifics of the fuel system. Forget the company your leased to....(unless of course your company gave you some $ towards another truck) Id be trying to take some action against the shop.....tell us the shop, so we know NOT to go there!!!

4. 1reallybaddayofwork

1reallybaddayofwork Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2016
    AAA cooper

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I have a hard time believing that a Davco fuel filter or a temp sensor would cause an explosion, let alone cause parts hitting the ground. Are you sure you didn't lose the crankshaft or a couple of rods?

Lone Ranger 13 and LumbraX Thank this.
  6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You can ask your insur. co. that paid the loan off what caused the fire, when fuel hit 1.50 per gal. years ago insur. co. would pay to drop oil pan on most truck fires to see if eng. was bad before fire, they may have some info?

LumbraX Thanks this.
  7. Cory wood

Cory wood Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Until you find the direct cause of the fire be very careful who you accuse of anything. If you heard things hitting the pavement the crank or rods flew out and sparks or heat caught something on fire. Remember, it's not always someone else's fault.

Lone Ranger 13, LumbraX and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    What does the block and oil pan look like? Seems to me a fuel related fire would have just charred the motor and everything around it. Is there a huge hole in it now that wasn't there before? I'm guessing yes from the sounds of it. This happened to a gas hauler here a few months back, rod went through the block and truck burned to the ground.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.