Future of Glider Kits

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Caterpillar Cowboy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I wouldn't trust anything Pittsburgh Power says! They seem to be turning into the Great Lakes diesel of PA...

DL550CAT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    You know that some over eager bureaucrat is working on getting something in the regulations that will restrict ability to use glider setups. Probably some greenie in the EPA.

4. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Here is a 2011 Pete 389 Glider.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syrsnmdlAR4&feature=related[/ame]

Fitzgerald's Glider Kits.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Kvw-uvMtc[/ame]

Finished New Freightliner Glider with a pre-emission Detroit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNL6PVT7CAs&feature=related[/ame]

5. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    You can get a Western Star glider and I here Mack is going to start next year. Not for sure if International does, Kenworth does not at this time. Volvo, who would want a Volvo glider. They are so popular that Peterbilt raised their prices on their gliders and started offering the 386 in a glider so I don't know why there sister company Kenworth is being stubborn.

I have a '03 ISX and it is a good engine with no leaks what so ever. My plan is to order a new Pete glider in the near future. I would rather have a KW instead, maybe they will start building them in the future.

6. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    So what loophole let's you put an older/lesser emissioned engine in to me what looks like a brand new 2011 truck?

i don't see how this is different than buying a 2011 pickup and putting in an engine from 1969 and saying oh, because the engine is from 69 i don't need any emmission equipment or cats?

7. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    No loophole. It's the freedom to choose what works over mandated engines that aren't proven. Freedom being the salient word here. People go the glider route because they see it as a smart and prudent business choice. When they make a maxforce or one of the DEF motors that people trust and mechanics love to work on, and guys tell love stories about, then gliders will go away.

8. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    You do understand that heavy-duty vehicle regulations (emissions, safety, etc.) are different than those for passenger vehicles?

9. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
  10. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Right, but i'm talking about what regulation/law let's you put an older engine into technically a new 2011 truck? The truck has to be titled as 2011.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.