Future of Glider Kits

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Caterpillar Cowboy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    According to Maryland:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    You are correct that it is titled as a 2011, but the VIN has a designator in it that shows it is a glider. The only emissions requirements is that the emissions has to meet the year of the engine. So per your previous post, yep, you could use a '69 engine in it. Granted, California would not like it, but someone going this route is probably not running CA anyway and has no plans to do it.

4. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Yup, you hit it right on the head. No way Uncle Sam is going to lose his ET tax. I give gliders 2 years, and theyll be a thing of the past.

5. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    guys is it possible to buy truck with lower emission standard, for example build for export market ( i mean for mexico or something similar guess they have lower standards)

....here is very often case that you buy new truck in germany but from dealer with used trucks and this dealer buys 100-200-300-500 trucks from manufacture register them for 1day and sold them as used much cheaper than normal regular price and also no need for waiting .....

here in 2006-2007 was big demand on new trucks .....when you want to buy new truck you have to wait 6-7-8months...so most trucks then were bought in germany as 1day old

also lot of construction trucks were bought in germany by dealers before 9/2006 and sold later ....because until 9/2006 it was possible to buy truck with euro3 standard so this was pretty popular .....

in my country it is not possible to register truck for less than 3months

if this is possible what kind of tax you need to pay?

6. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    If they ban gliders, then older trucks will get the attention. And if they ban older trucks, well then folks would just have to go without. Probably the best thing for trucking is to have all the pinheads in Washington arguing over the debt ceiling. They can't argue and make stupid new rules at the same time.

7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Don't ever underestimate the amount of havoc the politicians can do, even with a budget battle. There are a dozen staffers at least for every congressman and senator and those staffers are usually the ones who dream up goofy stuff. Recall Obamacare? We have to pass it to find out what's in it? And the fact that NO legislator had read the bill before they voted on it! Boy, what a country.

8. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Wrong, they don't do that anymore. When you run the serial number it shows up in the truck makers database that its a glider but you can't tell from the number itself.

Years ago they used to have a G in the serial number. This was how Freightliner used to do it anyway.

The way it was explained to me years ago..... When you bought a glider and was putting rears, trans, or motor in it you had to have the serial numbers ran from all the parts to make sure they wasn't stolen. Then the numbers were entered into the database and when you would run the truck serial number they would show up in there, for when you was getting parts.

9. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Ok. I'll give you that one since I am not current on all the details. But the end result is the same. The VIN will match to a chassis that was sold as a glider. That is all that is necessary. Slap in an engine of your choice and put it to work. And it will still title as the year the glider was made, i.e. a 2011 or 2012.

10. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Ok, what i want to know is what logic/regulation/law let's you put (apparently) ANY engine in what is essentially a brand new, current model year truck?

In a practical sense, how is this different from actually buying a new, complete truck, taking the engine out(selling it) and then putting any engine you want in it? (yes i know a glider is legally different than a complete truck but what logic from the legal standpoint behind it let's you use any engine?)

For example, the "logic" behind the no idling rules are noise and pollution even though the laws really don't make good sense. But there's at least a logic/reason behind it. Do you see what i'm saying?

11. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I might be mistaken but I think the idea was if a newer truck was wrecked (rolled over) the engine and driveline would be ok and didn't make sense to buy another complete truck. Or for example some trucks like the old Ford's would rust apart before the driveline would die. Now the only reason to do it is to not have a junk motor because unless you do all the work yourself its not cheaper. Most front discharge cement mixers are gliders.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.