1. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    So I purchases 2 dash cams (one for work truck and personal truck) and they arrived the other day... I didn't want to spend $100's of dollars on a camera and I did a bunch of research on good cheaper brands.. A common recommend model was the line of G1W's... They have all different models but they all have the same processors and lens.. I decided to get the G1W-C which just means it's the model with capacitor instead of a battery... I decided to go with this model since I hear about batteries failing in the heat that comes in the window... I don't want to be moving it all the time so I decided it was best to get the capacitor model. Since I will not be using this dash cam as a still camera I have no use to unplug it and take pictures. Capacitor model only last a few seconds before shut, battery model will for a bit.. With cellphones having huge megapixels on them If I get into an accident I would be using my cell to take pictures..

Anyhow I decided for under $100 this camera is one of the better cheaper models you can get.. Pretty good picture quality and picks the sounds up great.. Just listen to my music in the videos lol.. I got 2 cameras for $100/CDN shipped to me from China.. Ordered on ebay... I have a mirror mount for my pickup truck which I have yet to setup or use.. I am using the suction mount for the work truck. The camera comes with a super long cigarette plug which is nice for routing throughout the truck. The camera is nice and small and very light not much to it. Right now I only have a 8gb card in it and have it looping in 3min segments. I am debating about getting a 32gb (or 64gb which can me made to work) so I can get more recording time. Although I have only gotten this because I want to be protect in the event of an accident, it is also nice to have everything record throughout my day or week and not have it over written. While the 8gb at 1080 provide 1hr 20mins of recording time once you start saving files that you want to keep you will chew the 8gb easy.. 64gb car will get my over 10hrs of recording which would be nice on those long days if I see a lot of things I want to protect then I don't have to worry about losing to much memory on the car.. Either way the 8gb is more then enough for what the camera's purpose is, which is to capture an accident. So if your only into viewing your accident footage and not storing your day's drive so much then 8gb is more then enough..

Anyhow I just figured I would post 2 videos that I upload. 1 during day and 1 during night so you can get a look at the file.. Remember to change settings to 1080 on the youtube file.. The only issue I have is the mount will only tilt the camera down so much, which on a normal vehicle like my pickup this is fine. On the Freightliner which having a windshield that is almost straight up and down the camera has to point at the angle I have it at.. I would like to straighten it out some more which I might eventually do, but right now I my truck is in the shop and I don't want to "permanently" mount it in the replacement I am driving right now... I figure when I get my truck back I will put double sided tape on the mount and attach it to the overhead console so the camera can get a clear shot..

I also have some other things coming in for the camera to get a better none reflective picture... I ordered a 37mm CPL filter (circular polarizing filter) and a 34mm to 37mm step up ring to attach to the camera... I think this will make for a good modification...

Anyhow for anyone interested in dash cam I would recommend this one.. I haven't been using it long so I will update as time goes along.. My initial reaction is that this will serve me good.. With the increasing traffic and morons driving I decided it was time to protect myself in the event that something happens...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012

I just received my g1w about 2 weeks ago. This is one of my videos which contains no incident.

Mine was $58.49 including shipping which was from Houston. Amcrest was the name of the seller.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That's not bad pic quality. But the nighttime is meaningless in the lights.

Let's see what it looks like in the boonies with no lights. Cuz the boonies is 90% of our driving.

5. Moon_beam

Aug 29, 2012

night time passing another truck.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    vid is private.

7. Moon_beam

Aug 29, 2012
    Try it again, it should be public now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.