Galaxy radios

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Turbo-T, May 13, 2011.

1. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Thinking about maybe getting one. I've been doing some reading but I still have a few questions....

1. I read they're better than the Cobra 29's. how so?

2. I read the 3 digit Galaxy radios (919, 929, 959, etc) are not the good radios....the two digit Galaxy radios are (95T, 98, etc)....other than the two digit models offer more power and a band that allows you no the 10 meter ham bands...why would the three digit Galaxys not be good yet the two digit models are?

3. I also read the "RF power" knob on the front is for adjusting the dead key....so does this mean I can go to the nearest truck stop and pick up a Galaxy 929 and plug the amp into it and then set the dead key for 1 or 2 watts driving out of the radio into the amp? Or would I still need a CB tech to adjust something in the radio so the amp doesn't die from being over driven?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Turbo .....

I had (2) 959's both worked just fine .....

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    Comparing the 29 to the 919 (it's most even competitor) it's tough to say that one performs better, but Galaxy does offer better features. Stock variable power, stock talkback, large meter, just to name a few. The 929/979 offer Starlite faceplates, which put nightwatch to shame IMO. The black face with illuminated words looks way better than the whole face glowing different shades of green. The 979, which is the same physical size as the Cobra 29, offers the Starlite face and SSB, which is really nice, and I believe the only CB in that size to offer SSB.

Whoever told you that is a supertrucker. The 3 digit models are excellent radios built to the same Galaxy standards. They are, however, LEGAL 40 channel CB radios. They do legal amounts of power and cover the legal 40 channels when unmodified. The 2 digit models, are 10 meter/export radios. When modified, they cover the CB band. However, according to the FCC rule (part 95 to be exact) they are not legal for use on the citizens band. That rule is taken even more lightly than the speed limit. If you behave yourself on the the regular 40 channels, you will not be bothered by the FCC. But to say that the 3 digit models are inferior to the 2 digit models is a lie, they are built to 2 completely different specifications. Each does really well in the category they were built for.

I dont know for sure on this one. My guess is since the maximum carrier allowed on CB is 4 watts, that the variable power knob wont go higher than 4w in order to pass the approval process. I dont know how low it goes, but be sure to check it out on a good meter before driving the amp.

Hope this helps you out!

darthanubis and Mad Dog 20/20 Thank this.
  5. good for nuthin'

good for nuthin' Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Las Vegas NV
    I bought a 919, 7 years ago and it still works fine,I had it tweaked and peaked and for just the radio with oil cooled antennaes it went out pretty good.

6. tony7914

tony7914 Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I have a galaxy dx959 and a cobra 29 I had them both tuned and like them both. The cobra is smaller and has less features imho.

7. Turbo-T

May 31, 2009
    Understand it adjusts RF power, but there's really no need to on a 4 watt FCC certified radio....unless it's for turning down the power for driving an amp.

Anyone know for sure?

8. xPosTech

xPosTech Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2011
    SETexas
    Yep. Stock mine ran 1 1/2 watt to 3 1/2 watt. After tuning up 1 1/2 watt to 10 watt. That's deadkey.

There is a pot for low power and one for high inside. Then the RF Power knob simply adjusts the output from full high to low or anywhere in between. Perfect for running low deadkey amps like my KL203P.

Cbradiomagazine.com
    has reviews for most of the Galaxy CB and Export radios.

Ted

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    The RF Gain Knob has nothing to do with setting your DK!...all it does is let you turn down the signal that is coming into your radio. (sorta like a Pre-Amp...you can cut-back on the weaker stations)

Now what allot of guys will do (including myself) is have a shop re-wire the RF Gain knob to work as a adjustable power-knob...This way you can adjust your DK usually anywhere from .5w to 5w....which if your running Amp's this is a nice Mod to have done.

Some of the Galaxy radios have a adjustable power knob already on the radio, I know the 939 has.

10. Turbo-T

May 31, 2009

JJD, yes I know what the RF gain is for, if you noticed I was asking about the RF power.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  11. Mr. PlumCrazy

Mr. PlumCrazy Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Lexington NC
    Its still basically the same the power to you receiver nothing to do with output power. Since legal stock radios is limited to 4 watts and most wont do that out the box manufactures see no reason to put anything on them to control the output power. And seeing that you would loose 2 0f the 3 watts sending it through a rheostat Now some export radios have an output power adjustment

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.