Getting into Canada

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by reddemon71, Feb 5, 2008.

1. reddemon71

reddemon71 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Mpls,MN
    I'm a trucker and i heard that if you have a dwi on your record you can't get into canada to deliver, Anyone know if this is true?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I do believe it's true!

4. t_wilson0321

t_wilson0321 <strong>Adjustable Wench</strong>

Jan 23, 2008
    on the road again
    From what I understand, you can't get into Canada with any driving and alcohol charges, or a felony, or pretty much any criminal background. If you do cross the border, you can never come back to the US. However, I read somewhere about what is called a ministers pardon or waiver, something like that, that will allow a person to cross the border and back. I don't know for sure, haven't had a chance to research it yet. If I find anything about it, I'll post it on here.

5. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
  6. t_wilson0321

Jan 23, 2008
    on the road again
    OK I did some searching on the net and found this.

CRIMINAL RECORD: companies crossing the border into Canada may not send a driver with a felony conviction on those runs: Canada will arrest the driver and seize the truck. A Canadian waiver or Ministers Permit must be obtained to legally cross the border.

I got it from this website:

http://www.infoporium.com/truckschools/truckintro.shtml

Do a search on the net through google or whatever, I used http://www.ask.com/and searched "truck driver Canadian Ministers Waiver". You can try a combo of those words as well. Also, talk with whatever company you are prospectively looking at and see if they help you obtain the waiver. I remember one of the companies that hubby applied to said specifically that they would help him obtain the ministers waiver for Canada runs if he wanted it.

Hope this helps.

T

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Basically what is needed is to get the record expunged.

Their pardon form comes with a fee to process.

8. reddemon71

reddemon71 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Mpls,MN
    I did get ahold of immigration and they informed me that if you have a dwi over 5yrs old 99% of the time they'll waive you through, Otherwise you have to pay $200 to get the waiver. She told me just be very truthful with all the officers questions and you should have no problems

9. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    It is a crime to ATTEMPT to enter Canada with a DUI that is less than ten years old from the time all punishment ENDED. This means that if you got your DUI exactly ten years ago today, but were convicted six months later and received a year probation, you still have a year and six months to wait before you are 'Deemed Rehabilitated'.

For those of you who didn't read the thread I posted... I was the one percent they didn't let in. My DUI was eight years previous--I had crossed into Canada many times over a five year span of time before this... until I got the ONE guard who probably had a personal experience with a drunk driver. She was threatening to throw me in jail just for showing up at the border.

DUI is a felony in Canada and is considered 'Serious Criminality' for the purpose of applying for rehabilitation. This means that the fee for Rehabilitation is $1000. The $200 fee you might be referring to is for a one-time pass into Canada, or for less serious offenses. I was offered this option the night I was refused entry.

Be advised that if you do apply for Rehabilitation, it can take anywhere from six months to TWO YEARS to complete the process.

Now here's the kicker... even if you have been Deemed Rehabilitated or paid the fee for Rehabilitation, the border guard can STILL refuse you entry--they have the final say. If you get someone like the witch I had that night, and you present your document of rehabilitation, you could win an all expenses paid trip to the Iron Bar Hotel--just because they don't like you.

Here's the link to the Canadian consulate with more info:
    http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/minneapolis/right_nav/admissibility1-en.asp

10. t_wilson0321

Jan 23, 2008
    on the road again
    Oh wow Lil, that would stink. I hope you haven't had any more experiences like that at Canada crossing. I would honestly say if a person has a questionable background concerning going into Canada or Mexico, just don't go period. Don't even try. But I guess you have to do what you have to do for your job.

11. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Yup...and don't even TRY getting into USA (if you're a Canadian) with anything on your record - not gonna happen!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.