Getting my own authority

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by 07 cummins, May 11, 2016.

1. 07 cummins

07 cummins Bobtail Member

May 11, 2016
    Good day all,
    Just looking to get some advice and information from anyone that can offer in regards to getting my own authority
    I've done some reading on a lot of forms and majority of the posts repeat themselves
    Just a little background info on myself. been on the road for three years now
    Drove for a crappy company. I got my CDL issued from for about a year as a local container City Driver then switch to container cross border Canada US and then finally switch to 53-foot dry van after 6 months
    By my second year I took a $35,000 Canadian loan from a family member to get my own rig on the road purchased a 07 vnl 670 with a Cummings ISX had about 1 million kilometers on it when I got it spend some money to get everything roadworthy as everyone that purchased a used truck the first year was a b**** considering the company I was working for was only paying 131 Canadian loaded and gave low mileage runs which made it hard to maintain truck payment insurance and could barely afford maintenance
    Did my time on the road with my own truck changed clutch turbo Etc But we've gotten to know each other well now and get along fine
    First year had to sleep in the winter under 3 blankets cause there was no money left for a bunk heater after expenses other than a plug in blanket because I couldn't afford to have the truck running all night and wear down my engine
    Left that company after getting my two years experience and pulling for a somewhat decent company now because they pay a lot more with a seventy-five 25% split
    But at the end of the day they are extremely unprofessional and just a bunch of young guys sitting behind a desk trying to get rich buy Trucking and don't even give two s**** about their drivers or the risks we have to take to fill their pockets
    Have experience hauling 53-foot dry van to the Midwest Florida mostly Eastern Seaboard including all over New York City Bronx Brooklyn Manhattan also did some flatbed concrete slab runs from Ontario to Boston liked them
    Actually managing to save some money now and truck is running great at 1.6 million kilometers
    The purpose for my posters obviously with working for a trucking company with a split we all know they are not giving us the 75% of the load amount and constantly cutting the raid stating that they're not getting paid as much but more importantly these guys have me pushing night and day most of the time with no regard for hours of service or rest.

Was looking to get my own authority as I do have plans in the future for putting a truck or two on the road to start and figured starting off pulling loads for myself would be the best route look at that experience before getting my own drivers
    Which is why I put myself behind the wheel of a rig to know the life that we have to live in the sacrifices we made instead of just going and trying to get a loan to start a trucking company up as everyone else does without knowing what we have to go through on the road
    I figured instead of giving the company I'm pulling for 25% which averages out to 5 to $6,000 a month I could put that towards my own authority and having three trucks on the road and giving them 25% adds up a great deal
    I'm well aware of all the procedures ans everything else associated with getting my own authority in Canada and for cross-border the question I have is what do you guys think would be the best cargo to haul and what equipment flatbed tanker reefer and what locations to pull to and from, based out of toronto ontario canada

Just doing some planning ahead of time now looking to have enough money saved up by the end of 2016 to go out and get my authority so I need advice or things that I should look out for it would be greatly appreciated any advice on great brokerage sites or load boards that anyone has had experience with best regards

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Welp, If your concerned about giving up 25% for leasing under a carriers authority..Don't sweat it.

You'll be doing even better when you begin giving up 30-40% working for the devil. (Brokers)

If your gonna do this, Do it Right.. NO BROKERS.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    This question has been asked many times before ... Nobody is going to tell you who to call to get the good freight they have found on their own ... it's something you need to figure out on your own, because when you get your own authority, now you are my competition ...

You also need to have enough money to keep your truck moving while waiting for money to come in, whether it be through brokers or direct customers. You have to pay immediately for fuel, for repairs, for insurance, for authority, everything, but then you wait to collect. Sometimes 90+ days.

Rates have dipped and freight has slowed over the last few months, you might be getting screwed but don't think they are pulling $3+ for everything they do and are turning around telling you the rate is 1.60 and here's your 75% of that.

I think you might be better off finding an outfit where you get paid fairly, 25% is steep in my eyes. For that they should be paying your insurance, plates, IFTA, all road taxes, as well as you use their fuel card with a heck of a discount. I bet none of that is happening...

6. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    From the numbers you said (5-6000 is their cut)....that would seem like you're doing 15-18,000 to you each month.
    That doesn't seem terrible to me...as long as you're running their trailer, insurance, fuel card, and their finding your loads.
    I run flatbed under my own authority so I can't give you much info on vans...but from new authority guys I've heard from...its a tough go right now. Especially of your depending on load boards to keep you busy.
    I can't tell you what to do...but I'd either find direct customers that (as a one truck guy)....you'd be able to service when they need you. Until you have done that.... I'd stay where you are or find another place to lease on.
    Just my 2 cents

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Before rushing out to get your own authority consider and look into a couple good carriers with agents in both canada and the us. Landstar and mercer are two off the top of my head and I'm sure there are others. I know a couple canucks running at my carrier and they do very good running loads back and forth.

8. Hiradttx

Hiradttx Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Stay away from Landstar. My $0.02

9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Lots of guys i know do awesome there.

10. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    What's considered awesome?

11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Over 4 after fuel is pretty good in my book assuming you don't gotta kill yourself by running 3k miles.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.