Getting out of the oilfield

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by will083031, Aug 2, 2015.

1. will083031

will083031 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi everyone sorry I don't know where to put this thread.
    Anyone have any advice on what companies hire with no OTR experience? I been told by my current employer that by the end of August to start looking for another job. The last four years just been hauling Frac equipment around south Texas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Dam, that sucks...I wanted to go back to the oilfield

Lots of companies hire with no exp..you'll be a student with a trainer tho

But you have experience, you've been tractor/trailer for 4 years...!!! Some places require 48 state OTR exp, some dont

Theres a bunch out there, gotta check em all, you shouldnt have a problem finding a job...Heck, now a days you can run an end-dump in town and make the same or better than OTR...In my village an end dumper is bringing home 800 to 1000 a week

If you got the hankerin for the mighty highways, and have to start from scratch, pick a good one like Conway or ABF or something..have the option to transition to LTL when you get tired of the OTR and keep your tenure..Dont just settle for a random mega carrier, life is short man

Also, lots of oilfield activity in odessa/midland right? Some in new mexico

you'll be alright, just think wide

Chinatown and will083031 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You won't have any problem finding an OTR job. Some companies may want you to go through a refresher course or ride with an experienced driver for awhile.

FFE probably would hire you and they offer their own refresher course.

Make some phone calls and discuss your situation and see what jobs are offered.
    McCurdy M.W. & Co. in Houston
    Freymiller is a real good coast to coast reefer outfit. They seem to hire lots of older drivers that have been off the road for awhile. Good reputation.
    Paschall Truck Lines runs mostly Eastern half of USA but does have a terminal as far west as Los Angeles.
    Earl Henderson Trucking is another good coast to coast reefer outfit that might work something out with you. They have a guaranteed minimum weekly paycheck.
    Roehl Transport is pretty good and has a terminal in Texas.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    teqntexas Thanks this.
  5. will083031

Sep 27, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok thanks for swift replays, I thought about doing end dump I applied at a company called sunset logistics but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I don't know how things work where you're from but where I'm at, guys who have a decent amount of oilfield/logging off highway experience seem to be prefered when it comes to getting work. I guess the companies see it as an asset.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Another oil field driver from your area was just hired with JBS Carriers/Texas regional. I think they run Texas/Oklahoma/Louisana.

will083031 Thanks this.
  8. will083031

Sep 27, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok thanks for the info, so far I got 2 job offers from Freymiller and an OO from PAM transport hauling car parts from Laredo TX to Michigan, pay is 1200 weekly.

9. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    if you want to stay in the patches, i know CAB Logistics is hiring for sand. they are based out of ft worth but i'm pretty sure they at least have a drop yard in Von Ormy, down past the loves there on 35. they are running sand for Lewis down around Laredo and Apache out around Big Lake and Mertzen. they are also running sand for Apache in College Station and i believe they have some wells in Oklahoma too. They supposedly are picking up some work for Frac Tec that should start in the next week or two. I think they are paying 25% of load but don't quote me.
    You have more than enough experience for them.
    Good luck Driver.

will083031 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go with Freymiller over the car parts hauling job unless you're sure that's a steady run. Laredo to Michigan as a dedicated run would be real good unless it's teams. Some drivers are OK with teams; if you are then that's a pretty good run.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    will083031 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I re-read your post and see that PAM job is driving for an 0/0. Any benefits and is it on W-2.
    All this paints a whole new picture, but depends on what you want. Do you need benefits and a benefits package or not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.