Getting the required experience

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jake2011, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jake2011

Jake2011 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2016
    I was wondering when these companies ask for a year or two of cmv experience, does it matter if it's on a straight truck or tractor trailer, I got a job offer for a local garbage company, this would be my first driving job. I just don't wanna waste my time if it's not gonna give me the experience I need to get a better job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes it matters.

Now with that said, Class B and Class A trucking to me is one and same. Just the matter of a different situation rather than pure over the road and the knowledge gained from going around the USA is very valuable. But spending time in a dump truck or garbage truck is valid also.

One other thing. Employers like people who stay a year or more. Once you put in at least a year or better yet two years without trouble.. you will position yourself to be a better prospect for hire.

Remember, Trucking is a life time commitment. When I started I was looking at least 40 to 60 years into the future for myself.

4. Jake2011

Jake2011 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2016
    So if I'd take this job and stay for a year, would I have trouble getting a job driving a tractor trailer that requires a year experience?

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No. I said that both class B and Class A trucking is one and same. I said that over the road experience is valuable yes... but if you demonstrated staying a time with ONE employer driving A TRUCK.... without quitting, trouble or accidents someone will want to eventually hire you to a OTR trailer truck if that is what you want one to two years from now.

6. Jake2011

Jake2011 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Right, I'm trying to stay local if possible and all the good paying jobs want a year or 2 experience, so I'm hoping to put in my time get my experience and move to a company long term cause the garage company pay is far from great.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The pay is far from great. Sure.

But over the road... Ive burned hundreds weekly. Especially in the old days before pre-pass. Tolls, Food, Scales, showers, wash fees etc etc etc... and mirriors I break inside truckstops.. here a 50.,.. here is another 50... until I stopped breaking mirriors.

8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    If local is, what you want, then take it. Do they have roll off? If yes do they have pup trailers? Thats class A work. Dump truck pulling a equipment trailer, 90 percent of the time that's class A work, excc... but just know that your local experience counts for nothing to most otr companies

9. Jake2011

Jake2011 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks for the info, me and my wife just had a newborn so I'm trying to stay local, I'd eventually like to get a good local gig, straight truck or tractor trailer, Im just curious as to rather driving the garbage truck will give me the experience the other better paying companies want

10. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Yes and no. Some places wont consider B work as A experience. But theres a easy work around. Since B work is easier to find, hie onto a place with both A and B trucks, tell them you want A work but are more than happy to prove yourself in a B truck. Your new, so your selling your desire not your skill

Jake2011 Thanks this.
  11. Skinny P

Skinny P Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    It matters!!!! If you are looking to do local 48' or 53' combination vehicle or local container work, then they will only count any work done in a combination commercial motor vehicle. Sometimes they wont count your experience if you have done work with a company that is 100% Automatic trucks. And most of your local top tier companies have recruiters that actually care about who makes it through the hiring process. This is unlike a puppy mill trucking outfit that takes quantity over quality. I would suggest that you look at the job you want, call that company, and ask what is the best way for you to get the necessary experience to work there. If they won't tell you then you can guess how the dispatchers and other office staff will act once you do qualify to work there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.