Going to training and what to do with pets?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CharlesS, Jul 31, 2016.

1. CharlesS

CharlesS Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Having to go back into trucking due to financial problems and unable to get a decent local job due to lack of experience. Going to have to break the lease on my house because I can't afford to keep paying the rent and the utilities. I have 2 dogs both about 80lbs that I have had since puppies and I am not really sure what to do with them while I am gone. I don't really have any family to count on and friends can't help. Anyone else had to deal with this, no kill shelters want $50 for each dog and if I take them to the pound they are going to be put down due to their age. I'd like to find someone to take care of them just until I can get back on my feet financially, but I have no idea where to look.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CO Zaxby

CO Zaxby Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2016
    I would look into boarding them. Check out www.dogvacy.com. You can compare rates and read reviews etc.
    Do you already have your CDL? Or are you leaving for the entire training and OTR training period. Most boarding is going to be at least $15-$30 a night. Have you already found a company that will allow multiple large dogs on the truck? I know of a few companies that will allow one, I am unsure of what ones will allow two.

4. CharlesS

CharlesS Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Yeah I already have my CDL, but I am going to have to be out with a trainer for a few weeks at least. Orientation is going to be at terminal not far from where I am now so I won't have to travel out of town until I am ready to depart with the trainer. The company that I am hired on with only allows pets up to 25lbs I believe. I will look into the website and see if its something I can do. Thanks.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Ask someone at the no-kill shelter if they know of any breeders or rescue groups in the area. Hopefully it's just a temp separation between you and your dogs.

6. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Wonder if they could be cryogenicly frozen and then unthawed when you're ready to take care of them again?

FozzyNOK, Jumbo, tucker and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    That's cold. Whaaaat?

8. Canned Spam

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

They will be cold, yes, but isn't that the point?

Puppage Thanks this.
  9. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I like hot dogs

10. Canned Spam

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

Think it's a law now where you can't leave your dog in a hot car to die

11. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    To quote Peanut.... "They're making another left turn!!!!"
    Just like this thread....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.