GPS for Truckers

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Beanfacekilla, Sep 20, 2006.

1. richc82357

richc82357 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2006
    HI, I searched for previous threads,,nothing.
    Is there a good GPS system made just for truckers, with viaducts and weight limits??
    Thanks in advance..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    Yes, it's called CoPiliot

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Bobtail Member

I've been using a Garmin I2 for over a year now that I bought for under $200 from Walmart online. All the Garmins use the same databases and routing so more money doesn't get you better routes. The biggest limitation is the small memory card (128MB) it comes with only holds a few states at a time that you download from a DVDROM from your PC. I had the northeasternmost 9 states loaded which was fine until we expanded our running area to two more states last week :cry:. I just got in a bigger memory card (1GB) that holds the whole of the US and CA for $15 with shipping :). I do check its routing against my directions and maps but it is suprisingly good and at the very least gives me good ETAs and wakes me up when it is time to turn :smt101. It's saved me lots of wrong turns, "U" turns, and out-of-route miles.

5. Light Traveler

Light Traveler Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Somewhere out there...
    The Garmin 2610 is not a bad GPS. It's been discontinued, so you could probably snag a good deal on Ebay for about $150. It's compact, has a color touchpad screen, with voice commands, and it's upgradeable. I'm using an earlier monochrome model called the Streetpilot. It's ok to, but it takes a minute or two for the screen to refresh.

6. Breeze6442

Breeze6442 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Is the Co pilot any good? Do you have one?

Thanks

7. MR SLEEPY

MR SLEEPY Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I just purchased a lap top and also got the co-pilot program. I have a couple friends that has the same set up and I think I'll be pleased with it.
    My wife is getting tired of me calling her and getting her to look up a address on mapquest, So this should take care of that problem , I need to fiqure out how to install it in the truck where I can get to it easy.

8. finfan

finfan Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2007
    middle ga
    laptop-mounts.us -among others. Do you mind if I ask, how much was your co-pilot and where did you get it?

9. Nuthinspecial

Nuthinspecial Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Salem, Or
    I use the Garmin Qwest...works great! about $300 new, or $150 on ebay. Routes for trucks/buses as well. Good luck...once you go GPS, you'll never go without!

10. MR SLEEPY

MR SLEEPY Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I got the computer and the co pilot 9 threw Del its not the one thats made for big trucks. I got it set on RV, I think it will work just fine. I'll compare it with the company directions and hope for the best....

11. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Bobtail Member

I just ordered a Garmin C320 from outpost dot com to replace my Garmin I2 (see my earlier post in this thread). It adds color and a larger screen that is also touch enabled - and only $200 shipped! I also needed to do the same thing as I did to the I2 to get the entire US + CA to fit - I ordered a Kingston 1GB SD card for $11 shipped from meritline dot com.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.