Gypsum express

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by allen731, Oct 25, 2016.

1. allen731

allen731 Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Anyone work for gypsum express or just someone that might be able to tell me how they are to work for?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    I dunno. I couldn't find any info when I looked into them. The recruiter was nice until I told her I would go somewhere else since she didn't tell me they send you out with a trainer if your new to flatbed but not trucking. I figured a 2 week class with plenty of field training. I was wrong and decided maybe they weren't for me.
    She decided to get nasty and get the last word in on a email. Take it for what it is but I take that as a sign of someone is two faced. I understand you take time to answer questions and get involved on recruiting but don't take it so personal when i find out info I don't like and decide not to join.

4. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    ^^^^^^^^Yet Another^^^^^^^^^

I want my cake....and eat it too.

Yes; you have a right to look elsewhere for employment if you don't care for current prospect's policies. And no; the Recruiter didn't have to turn on you when you made said decision. But what is wrong with riding along with an experienced hand for some 'real time' on-the-job-training?
    If you're good, it takes a week...if you suck, it takes longer.

As an experienced driver I rode with Mr. Darwin Burkey (rest his sole) when I went to Smithway Motor Express in the early 90's and he taught me well; and in one week's time I was on my own.
    It's the way things got done. Screw that "classroom" bologna.

5. Dark_Majesty_06

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    Have you seen the size of these folks trucks? It's barely big enough for one guy let alone two. I also don't care to ride with another grown man for two weeks. I learn better when watching and mimicking. A classroom with plenty of practice outside on the real thing works best for me.

I haven't rode with a trainer since 09 and i dont plan on doing it again. Just filling the dude in on my brief experience.

6. Flatbedder73

Flatbedder73 Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Langhorne, PA
    You have to learn the ropes....you would flounder out there by yourself. Im a tanker guy, and would love to switch to flats....but i know its a completely different world, and would never jump in without hands on training. Suck it up and share some space for 10 days.... You have to learn the process at a shipper/receiver...there are unwritten rules....its not bumping docks.

7. Dark_Majesty_06

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    Like I said, not my cup of tea. I think you guys are misunderstanding me. They can do whatever they like. It's Gypsum's company. I focused more on when I decided not to go, the recruiter got snotty and foul mouthed with me. All im saying is, if the company allows your first interactions with someone like that, you should probably expect that from everyone else. At least, that's what I believe.

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It amazes me how many people think securement is so difficult. It's common sense stuff. Nothing a couple days hands on during orientation couldn't teach ya. Teaming two weeks to learn how to do something they could teach you in their warehouse or parking lot? That's just stupid and really feels like they are wanting cheap 'training wage' labor for a team truck.

I've never worked for gypsum but see enough of their trucks in my area to know one thing. Cheap heavy and big tarps. Expect to pull a lot of lumber and dry wall.

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  9. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Not true. Is the company supposed to have a little bit of EVERYTHING you could be expected to haul, just sitting around a parking lot and/or warehouse?

Orientation:
    Hey Frank...go get that tractor back-hoe, and those two scissor lifts.
    Hey Frank, now go get that load of sheetrock from the back forty.
    Hey Frank, where'd we put that 50,000lb. coil?
    Hey Frank, remember that load of pipe...see if you can bring it up here without losing some this time.
    Hey Frank...wasn't there a load of eye beams sitting in the back of the warehouse?
    Hey Frank, have these guys secured the miscellaneous, odd-ball Menard's load yet?

10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You don't need 25 different products. Just a few very different ones. 2 things at play here. 1 you can not teach common sense, some folks are just never gonna get it no matter how many different things you train them on. And 2: two weeks training out on the road with another driver is not enough time to get so many different loads that he gets hands on experience with everything. He is either gonna get the basic concepts after two or three different products and be good to go, he can simply reference a good securement handbook when he encounters something different. Or he will be one of those guys that it never clicks, in which case it won't matter if you stick him with a trainer two weeks or two years cause the first time he encounters something different he will be at a complete loss on what to do.

11. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    What do they pay to pull turnpike doubles ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.