Hardwood Floor or Checker-plate Steel?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by J. Graham Contracting, Aug 14, 2016.

1. J. Graham Contracting

J. Graham Contracting Bobtail Member

May 16, 2013
    Vancouver Island, BC.
    Possibly ordering new truck and dry freight box.
    Cant decide if I should have the hardwood floor or steel.
    I haul a lot of engines, radiators, hydraulic cylinders, and such as well as dry freight.
    I use a manual pallet jack. Don't have an electric. I can push a 2000 pound pallet with my manual jack on my floor now.
    Have only ever had a hardwood floor and mine has a lot of gouges from sliding in steel beams and has absorbed a lot of oil and antifreeze and such. Just wondering if the checker-plate steel would be better in the long run?

Hoping someone with experience with either steel or wood can give me some advice or the pros and cons of each.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Steel will add a lot of extra tare weight.

Pintlehook Thanks this.
  4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    The manual pallet jack might be tough to get rolling with a heavy skid on the diamond plate.

Mike2633 and JReding Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If there's no skid next to it, you can pull it sideways to break the inertia. Hopefully an engine core that wasn't completely drained wasn't previously in the immediate vicinity.

6. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Dimond plate for the tail end 4 feet and a good QUALITY coated wood deck for the remainder, damage is easy to avoid with the right gear or techniques. The only reason I would want a full steel deck would be if i was doing alot, and i mean alot of pallet dragging with chains or pullers, moisture on a painted steel deck is like ice, you go to pull a 2200 lb pallet, a foot slips and bam! No fun, the few steel deck trucks we have are coated with that lizard skin bed liner stuff for traction.

7. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Really i don't think there is ever a need for diamond plate in almost any situation----flat steel with grip tape or lizard skin is better. This includes dock plates and the like.

As far as wood vs. steel, we do alot of heavy stuff in LTL and the wood holds up well.

8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Does anyone do epoxy coating on truck floors? Seems like a way to protect the wood and make it easy to renew the coating.

9. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Im dealing with that right now, one of my trucks deck coating (o.m.e.) is wearing off, (flatbed) and the deck boards are starting to weather, company bought me some truck bed liner to try out. Ill be doing a basic coat and some touch up spots hopefully at the end of next week, if ya want i can take some pics and start a thread about it to show how it holds up. Everyone i talked to, from home Depot to Sherwin Williams said any paint or outdoor deck stain/coating would get jacked up really fast so were gonna try the high end bed liner stuff

Big Don Thanks this.
  10. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I was thinking of the two-part epoxies that folks use for building boats, but bed liner sounds like tough stuff. The nice thing about epoxy is one can add grit for traction. Some folks use rock salt and then wash it away so it leaves a rough surface. If it gets gouged just mix up some more and pour it in the gouge. But I don't know how well it walks when wet and how it would stand up to steel plate sliding on it. Brand I typically use is West Systems, but there are lots of vendors in that space. They might have answers about applicability.

11. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I like the epoxy idea, but im doing this at my shop, company won't let me go hog wild, basic prep, clean n scuff, not even sanding the deck, im going for smooth finish as i push and pull pallets excc cross ways across the deck, i can get a smooth finish by brushing it on, if i use a roller it would have the rough traction surface you see in adds for the stuff...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.