Hazmat Renewal Rules

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Dave_in_AZ, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Got home from a month out, and found my hazmat renewal in the pile.
    This is my second renewal, state of Arizona, don't know if state makes it unique.
    Letter says go to this website to find locations, there are only two in the entire state, but the website is WHACKED. Offers all kinds of redirects to the application. So I said #### that.

Second option call this number, to schedule an appointment at a facility nearest you. Number is no longer in service, call this number instead. Second number works. Facility is no appointment and the same one that's been there for 8 years ( since I first applied anyway.)

Now if you don't renew your hazmat, your CDL is cancelled ( per letter). If you don't want a HME anymore, you have to go down and tell them you don't want it, fill out form, or your CDL is cancelled.

I drive out to tim-buk-too, pony up the $86.50, the girl bangs the info on the PC, only answer two questions, prints, POOF, done, thanks for coming.

The first time applied they wanted your life story. The first time I renewed, it was the exact same form. This time, two questions.

I recommend to all, to avoid the website like the plague, and do any paperwork and money changing hands at the place where you get printed, or I'd say you have a really good chance of winding up with your CDL cancelled.

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Making an appointment is a waste of time, definetly just go down in person, I did it this summer and was in and out in like 30 minutes.

4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Here in cali you have to get re - fingerprinted with a FBI background check when its time for renewal even though i did all that when i first got hazmat.

Diesel Dave and carramrod32 Thank this.
  5. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Same in Arizona, probably all the states as well would be my guess.

rachi Thanks this.
  6. pallet breakdown

pallet breakdown Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2016
    the drivers license office gave me a number that i needed to call in to a phone number to get registered. then give the number to a UPS store to get finger printed to get my hazmat on my license in the mail

rachi Thanks this.
  7. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Well, Dave, I don't believe a HM endorsement is required for getting a CDL, at least nowhere I've heard of. So I'm a little confused that some office person would make that threat. No HM endorsement, cancel your CDL? Hard to see that as the whole story. Page 2, no HM endorsement is just that, no HM endorsement. I guess I don't understand why you couldn't get the CDL by itself or with other endorsements, sure.

I got a new CDL last November, they wanted fingerprints, new test, and DHS background check to renew. I had a year left, so I told them "bail that, renew me now and I'll do the full tilt program next November." I tried that NM test just for information - Wow! I did not get a passing score, that test was harder than anything I've seen yet. It was like the Handbook, fine print and everything. Crazy.

8. earlybird1104

earlybird1104 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2015
    In Missouri have to retake the hazmat test once u pass it's 78.50 fingerprints82.50 new license75.00

rachi Thanks this.
  9. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    How long is the license period, 3 years?

10. earlybird1104

earlybird1104 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2015
  11. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    5 in cali.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.