Hazmat renewals

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Exit310, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Exit310

Exit310 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    cullman,alabama
    How often do you have to renew your hazmat endorsement? Do have to retake the test again?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    From here:
    https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/faq
    What if I already hold an HME and just need to renew it?
    Regulations require that you complete an HME STA application and submit fingerprints each time you apply for a new or renewed HME.

From Washington State DOL:

If you’re a commercial driver and want to transfer, add, or renew a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) in Washington state (WA), you’ll need to know the following:

• The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) HME clearance is valid for 5 years.
    • The time remaining on your HME clearance will determine when your WA license will expire. Your WA license can’t expire after the TSA HME clearance expiration.

4. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    In AL when your CDL expires so does your Hazmat. I've got a combination X. Was told by state examiner I'd have to retest and start the background check process 3 months in advance before expiration date in order for new background check to be approved in time.

5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I have decided to let my hazmat go. To much hassle for little reward.

6. glitterglue

glitterglue Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Adair Village, OR
    In Oregon, you have to retake the DMV Hazmat written test when you renew your license (once every 8 years).

For the TSA HME, that's once every 5 years, as Bill51 pointed out.

Also, in Oregon, and this may be different elsewhere, if your TSA HME expires or is not renewed in time - they will cancel your CDL. That one really shocked me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.