Health insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gunner75, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Curious what our owner ops do for health insurance for their families. Do you have an aca compliant plan, or do you say heck with it and get a short term plan and pay the penalty during tax time? Are you in one of the health savings plans that look to be overwhelming religious based?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    We went with the exchanges.

4. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    We are on our own through a broker, it was nice to have someone to help with all the questions. Getting a 12.47% increase this year with absolutely no claims and two perfectly healthy young adults....sooo..... ACA is working just great for us.... Back to shopping rates again.

5. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    They based ours on previous income only. Remember, no preexisting conditions? Because we (wife owns the company, I own the truck) didn't pay me with a W2, we made more than we should have and pay over $400/week

Something else to consider, if your 2014 aren't done already, you just lost your gubment sponsored insurance.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I just chose a plan on healthcare.gov

7. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    e

I also pay $400 a week with a massive deductible......have to hit like $5 grand before I even call .......that's Cobra style. I keep trying to figure out exactly what I'm paying for........it's more like extortion.

Tax deductions don't even kick until you exceed 7.5% of your AGI but your AGI is what is used to determine your capex limit.

My Uncle should have left the thing alone.......if it ain't broke......

JMO

sshewins Thanks this.
  8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You can make insurance and other medical cost 100% deductible through section 105. I have done it for 15 plus years. There are rules and it's best to use someone to keep you legal,
    I use http://www.agriplan-bizplan.com never a question from the irs.

9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Fortunately, my independent high deductible BCBS health plan tied to a Health Savings Account got grandfathered in when Obummer care kicked in. Premiums did go up, but still not bank breaking. $515 a month for both me and the wife. Both of us in our upper 50's, wife has medical issues. For major medical issues, $5 million coverage.

Nice thing about tying a health savings account to a health plan, you don't have to play the 7.5% of adjusted gross nonsense. You put money in the savings account tax free and spend it as you go on medical out of pocket. You end up with 100% tax deduction on all medical expenses and premiums. A win-win. What you don't spend just rolls over. Not like those stupid company cafeteria plans. It is YOUR savings account and your money, and it doesn't go anywhere unless you spend it on medical.

It can be a plus when it comes time to pay for something. I had a serious flu about a year and half ago. Couldn't retain oxygen in blood. Went to emergency room, was hospitalized overnight, oxygen along with respiratory therapy every two hours, two doctors, chest X-rays, EKG, meds, single room charge, two meals. Typically would have been several thousand dollar cost. But since I was paying cash out of my HSA, the total cost was $895. Wasn't high enough to insurance to cover so I got the bill. No problem. All of that for a very reasonable amount. Cash is king. And all of it, 100% deductible. What a country!

And I used that episode to quit smoking! Totally smoke free since.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Grijon, blacklabel, JPenn and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    congrats on not smoking, im at 19 months smoke free myself, but i used ecigs to do it

11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Yeah, I also used them to help me along. I did some research on nicotine just out of curiosity, and it is amazing the actual benefits of nicotine. It is all the other nasty stuff in smoke that it is the problem.

Gunner75 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.