Hello everybody

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Spyke, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Spyke

Spyke Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm set to attend school for all classes and endorsements this august in the olympia area, Washington State. Really new, here to learn and ask questions. Looking for a drastic change of career, and one that will support my sizable family, even in a rough economy. I'm in my late thirties and starting over. Lots of years of military service, Marines. Always liked truck stops, my uncles who were truck drivers and the folks I'd meet on the road with my father. I like the idea of a measure of freedom and independence, but the more I research the industry the less I think I will find it here (cameras on drivers, etc). I am excited about the idea of a career that is in demand almost everywhere in the country. Heard lots of good things and lots of horror stories, and here to learn how much of each is true.
    Read a bunch today after starting my account, I have many questions but prefer to try and find at least the more common ones before asking much. Am grateful for all advice I can get, especially in reference to Washington, and which types of driving I should focus on. Willing to earn a place in the industry however I have too, but been deployed and away from my kids for too many years already. Hoping to find a happy medium between locality and a living, though that may have to wait for the breaking in period any industry has.

Thanks for reading, it seems you have a good group here and I hope to get to know you folks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Military vets transition into trucking easily. Seems what you want is a good balance of trucking and home life. Probably don't want coast to coast running then. Lots of jobs are available for new cdl grads where you can stay in the Pacific Northwest or Western states. You can start applying during the first week of cdl school and don't have to wait until graduation. Job offers will be contingent upon successfully completing school and having the required endorsements. Get all the endorsements plus TWIC ID Card and Passport or Passport Card. Google for nearest TWIC office. TWIC is for entry to sea ports, chemical plants, military bases, rail yards. Passport is for Canada runs. Trucking is a great career and you'll probably enjoy it.

JReding, Friend, Spyke and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The cdl school will have job placement, but also there's lots of good companies the school probably won't even mention. CDL schools usually just focus on a few companies and not the dozens that are available. Keep in mind, many companies websites have "experience required" so it's best to ignore that and apply anyway. They bend their own hiring criteria for good applicants.
    Here's a few companies you can research and start your list of the ones you like:
    James J. Williams
    Brown Line
    Leavitt's Freight Service
    Lynden
    A&M Transport
    KKW Trucking
    Jim Palmer Trucking
    Watkins-Shepard

born&raisedintheusa, Friend and Spyke Thank this.
  5. Spyke

Spyke Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Thank you for those informative replies. I appreciate the time and info. I'm still learning what is out there. Being honest, I dread the idea of backing in and out of a place or doing a 26 point turn in the middle of a city more than I ever did a firefight, but I am hoping that its just like getting shot at, you get used to it.

I'm also trying to figure out if there's any benefit to having paid for my own training and since I am going for all the certs the school has, I am trying to figure out which areas of trucking are the most enjoyable, most profitable, give the most marketable experience, etc.

I did thirteen years in the Marines, served all over the world. Drove a fox nbcrs vehicle that weighed 21 tons. Closest experience I have to trucking. I have a bachelors in homeland security and lots of counterintelligence and human intelligence experience and training but it seems tougher than it should be to find work.
    I do like the idea of a fresh start. It seems like most cdl holders have worked a few rough jobs, but have told me they can quit a bad job and be working the next day. After a few rough patches since getting out, including a stint at McDonald's, that sounds good to me. Yeah, I guess I could say that I'd like to have a local, home every night job that would pay me well and where everyone would be very nice to me, but it seems presumptuous for a new guy snd besides, who would drive all the trucks? Anyway, I appreciste the info and all I've already learned just from reading through the threads today.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  6. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Thanks for your service!
    Good luck on the new career path, ypu have the coping skills to succeed in this business. Godbless.

Spyke Thanks this.
  7. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Thank you for your service Sir. You are in a great market for work that can get you home often especially, in the areas of flatbed and my personal favorite tanker work. We are all here to help so use this forum and ask away.

Spyke Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's true, lose a trucking job and you'll be back at work in 24 - 48 hours.
    I've done refrigerated, flatbed, tankers and liked all of it. Tanker was the easiest and the pay was good averaging $65K per year. Hauled acid to Seattle a few times from Tennessee. This was OTR coast to coast because I don't like local work; stay exhausted all the time.
    Coast to coast & border to border doing flatbed, refrigerated, tanker and all of it had it's good and less than desirable points. Really no bad experiences with tankers.
    Apply to as many companies as you want, then take the job offer you like best.

Spyke, born&raisedintheusa and Friend Thank this.
  9. OrmsbyMW

OrmsbyMW Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2016
    I believe driving tanker is probably the most profitable (50 to 60k) and with the right company you'll get 2 to 3 days home every week.

Spyke Thanks this.
  10. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    And sometimes more brother alot more.

Spyke Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lynden has some local stuff driving day cabs.
    Might luck out and find a fuel hauling job; they usually require experience, but sometimes they cut some slack for the right applicant.

Spyke, born&raisedintheusa and Friend Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.