help me understand

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jethro712, Oct 1, 2016.

1. jethro712

jethro712 Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    a company has x amount of freight, when a shpr asks for more trailers to give you more loads, what all is figured in to determin as to whether or not they supply them extra trailers? thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Where you been brother? Anyways companies have so may accounts they have agreements in place for x amour of trailers. For us we had at least 5 customers that paid for someone in our company to rotate trailers etc. O would think this is something management can work out.

jethro712 Thanks this.
  4. jethro712

Aug 31, 2014
    been tryin to make a $

5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Companies are good at using drivers to build ridiculous offices etc.

6. jethro712

Aug 31, 2014
    yeah, like usx in chattanooga.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  7. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    First, Does the company have enough extra trailers to supply and not lose the business of other customers? If they don't have the trailers is it reasonable to rent more for the increased freight levels?

Second, Are the loads profitable?

Third, Does the company have enough drivers to cover the increased number of loads or will they have to be brokered out?

jethro712 Thanks this.
  8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Are you gonna try and make it toward the dedicated route. We had well above enough freight of Honda parts that moved between three cities but they never did it.

9. jethro712

Aug 31, 2014
    wouldnt that opprotunnity allow a co. to dump a bottom feeder or two? open up some trl availability. guess im just blown away when an open door with good cust. isnt used. thanks to you & t2t for the insight. be blessed, drive safe

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It has to do with somethIng called capacity on demand.

If a customer needs an onsite trailer, then they can pull one from inventory (large carriers have hundreds of trailers) or simply rent/lease one. Say I have a trailer sitting at a yard for "X" company and they call me up and tell me they want to rent it, give me a good per day rate, I will let them have it and drop it at the customers place.

There is a lot more to this like when a manufacturer or processor has scheduled out production so they give a heads up to the carriers and see who will send in the trailers first, first come first to get the load. Other times they will work with a favorite or preferred company to arrange the capacity.

jethro712 Thanks this.
  11. jethro712

Aug 31, 2014
    just too much to the process for me to understand. got a headache now. thanks for the input

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.