Help With Gaming Issues

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by wasted1, Mar 27, 2024.

1. wasted1

wasted1 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Oklahoma City,Ok
    Hello fellow truckers! I have a ps5 that I like to use while on my breaks. I was driving a 2022 freightliner and the 1200 watt inverter that is installed in the truck would power off. The company I drive for let me switch trucks and it still would cause the inverter to to turn off. Sometimes it would power off within a couple of games or 4 or 5. It would do it while watching movies but it would take a little longer but it would still power off. I thought it might be something wrong with the ps5 so I bought a new ps5 slim and it is still happening. It even does it with my ps4. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this issue or even what the issue is? None of the mechanics here seem to know what the problem is. I would appreciate any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    What I’m about to ask isn’t meant to be snarky or ###### toward you I’m just asking… is your truck or apu running while you’re doing this? An inverter supplies electricity it does not create it. If you’re doin all this with the truck off, it’ll cut power to that to save your batteries.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  4. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Common PS issue. They are really poorly designed in how they cycle power. They start in low power mode on startup and when you pop in a game or a movie and they bounce from low to high stress they go from low to full power almost instantly rather then ramping up and down. That can cause breakers to trip. Cheap inverters can read it as a power surge and flip off. It doesnt happen as much with modern homes on 15A circuts but is a known issue even in homes.

Basically you either need a beefey high end pure sine inverter with built in surge protection or to ditch the PS in favor of PC or Xbox.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Second on the batteries. If the batteries are regular starting batteries and not deep cycle they're really not meant to run much for loads and quickly will go bad. Even still with deep cycle they could be aging and have a lowered capacity. Most trucks will indicate load shedding and possibly beep or shut things like lights off.
    Does your inverter have a screen that shows voltage/power draw? Does the inverter itself turn off? You could try a simple troubleshooting test to see if it's the system or inverter by running a light off the inverter the same time and seeing if the light goes out too when the PS5 dies.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Some electronic products do not like cheaper modified sine wave inverters, they’ll only work on pure sine wave inverters. If it doesn’t say pure sine wave on it, then it’s not one.
    A PS5 under maximum load can draw up to 350 watts of power, equals about a 35 amp draw on your trucks batteries after conversion loses.
    The usual reserve capacity of a group 31 battery is about 180 minutes at 25 amps. At 35 amps that’s only maybe 2 hours of use per battery times however many batteries the truck has. But then the truck won’t start. The inverter it’s self usually has a low voltage disconnect.
    I didn’t game, but if I was using the microwave I always left the truck running during its use.

7. wasted1

wasted1 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Oklahoma City,Ok
    Thanks for your reply. I have opti idle. I have tried it with it on comfort mode, no comfort mode, with opti idle off with the ignition key in on position. Nothing seems to work.

8. wasted1

wasted1 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Oklahoma City,Ok
    Thanks for your help. That makes sense. I might have to get a sine inverter. I have looked at few but was hoping to save some money.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2024
  9. wasted1

wasted1 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Oklahoma City,Ok
    I appreciate your help. The inverter does power off. Have to open the side box to turn it back on. It does have a screen but it’s under a metal cover and can’t see it. It did give me the load shedding warning but the mechanics recently replaced four batteries.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2024
  10. wasted1

wasted1 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Oklahoma City,Ok
    I’m going to grab one of those pure sine wave inverters for. Sounds like a great idea. I use to run teams and there would be a big drop on the voltage meter when using the microwave even while driving. I don’t use a microwave in this truck.

11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Have you looked at what kind of cables they used to hook the inverter up? If it's shutting off before the opti-idle starts it could be a case of voltage drop due to small wiring. They should be pretty thick. Maybe 0 or 00 gauge copper wire.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.