Hints & Tricks to help with parallel parking & alley docking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by locustrunner, Jul 22, 2012.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

Good point to always look out for overheads. Most people are clueless to them.

topher Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. topher

topher Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Metro-Detroit
    a bit of advice i received when i was training and to some degree worked for me with backing and parking and driving was to imagine the truck inside a bubble... yes, a bubble.

4. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    always watch my trl wheels.trucking school tried to teach me by the mirrors.had better luck just watching the trl wheels when they hit the line I cut it.hit it every time

locustrunner Thanks this.
  5. Mr. Breeze 65

Mr. Breeze 65 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Baraboo Wi
    Went to school in columbia in 07. we had to choose between alley dock or 90

6. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    When I did Local for ACT in Kansas City, the OTR drivers would have to call us to pickup a load of pet food for pet smart at Ward Parkway Center. (that is for all you ACT drivers) There is no way a sleeper cab can make the turns to get under the shopping Center. This called for the dreaded dock side back once you get under the center. I cant do it.

Wait a minute. All the dockside back is is this. Lets say you are doing a straight back into dock number 6. You check your mirrors and you are lined up between docks 6 and 5. Halfway. Can you move your trailer over 1/2 a dock width? Sure no problem. The other way is just like you lined up between 7 and 6. It is not hard at all. Just relax.

7. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    the toy truck suggestion is a good one, however, not too many toy trucks have steer wheels that actually steer. one needs to also see which way the wheels turn when back up.

heck no they are not. i have seen many from a company named Tamiya, and they are models one must build, paint, etc,etc. i think about $600.00 and up just for the tractor...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/category.php?sub-id=35000

8. ShootThis

ShootThis Medium Load Member

I want one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    nicholas_jordan Thanks this.
  9. locustrunner

locustrunner Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    They don't give us a choice, but it is one or the other - the person testing us will decide. I would choose alley dock in a second!

10. locustrunner

Jul 20, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS DID IT!! I nailed it a half a dozen times last nite w/this in mind. I can't even tell you i geeked i was!

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  11. locustrunner

Jul 20, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    I was pretty excited yesterday when I finally parallel parked! It felt like such an accomplishment b/c I was so mad about it! Thank you everyone for your tips. I kept them all in mind while I was doing this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.