Hit it and quit it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RedRover, Dec 28, 2016.

1. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    How would I handle it vs. how I would have wanted to handle it? Yeah, I likely would have done the same as the driver in the video (not knowing all the details), but I would sure like to just keep the hammer down. It is best to put as much space between you and the offender as possible; slowing down and putting on the emergency flashers to warn other drivers, recording (if possible) and calling the police. Escalating the encounter just leads to bad outcomes.

I have had a couple of incidents over the years resulting in cars in the ditch because they did something really stupid around my truck. Not my fault and not a shred of remorse from me. What I won't do is jeopardize my life, the lives of innocents around me, nor my load if I can help it.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I wouldn't have posted my business on facebook. When something bad happens to morons, there wouldn't be any ties to me.

5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I wouldn't have because it wouldn't have happened.

Miss west decided to pass a slightly slower truck within 2 or 3 miles of her exit. Why?

The 4 wheeler will find an early grave if they keep doing crap like that. That's just insane.

The actions of the average driver belie the intelligence level of the average driver. Both in the video are prime examples of that.

snowlauncher, scottied67 and not4hire Thank this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    D'oh... I missed that tidbit. If it's less than about 10 miles I'll just slow down unless there is a compelling reason to pass (very big speed differential, etc.).

Although she had the right to pass the other truck, you are right in assessing the fact it probably wasn't the most professional option.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    tinytim Thanks this.
  7. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    She stated that the truck was going much slower and sped up when she tried to pass, which she did in short order. The 4 wheeler was pissed that he had a 30 second delay in passing to get to the same exit.

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    In January I was driving through Sacramento, CA. I was in the number 3 lane as the slow lane was about to merge and go away.

A young girl in her 20's went from the 2nd lane around the back of me at approximately 90 mph on balding tires (CHP report) and lost control of her car. She spun directly under my trailer tandems on the passenger side. The force of the impact spun her back out the opposite direction. Somehow that girl walked away without a scratch on her.

The report noted that she was using a handheld device and her reason for trying to pass me was because her "mom was waiting for her."

tlalokay and RedRover Thank this.
  9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    She stated 5 mph slower. I'd hardly call that 'much slower', especially that close to an exit in an urban area where speeds are often far from steady.

Even if we give her a pass on the pass she stayed way too close to the idiot 4 wheeler after the initial slow down.

She comes off as an aggressive, short sighted driver. The 4 wheeler played a very dangerous game, she decided to play along.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Reason for edit: spelling
    AtticusRoad and TripleSix Thank this.
  10. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Me ... I do and have called them in for driving erratically and apparently impaired. A rational person doesn't do stupid crap.

The last guy who did that actually stopped in front of me, got out of his vehicle and double flipped me off. 3 miles later he rear ended another vehicle while I was on the phone with the state patrol.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Pretty girl like her should be in my truck

Oooooooops.....

alghazi and RedRover Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.