Hold backs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Mleeming, May 13, 2013.

1. Mleeming

Mleeming Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Can anyone tell me why a trucking company might need a 90 day hold back? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. imnuts

imnuts Light Load Member

May 4, 2012
    Sask, Canada
    90 days?!

I've heard of 60 and thought that was horrible!

CbarM Thanks this.
  4. Mleeming

Mleeming Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Unfortunately, been applying all over many are not responding to e-mails or won't reply when you leave messages even when there advertising for drivers. And the ones I have talked to have a 60 day hold back for first pay, and a couple have a 90 day hold back on final pay.

5. imnuts

imnuts Light Load Member

May 4, 2012
    Sask, Canada
    They must be one helluva good outfit for me to put up with that or maybe I'm just so far outta the loop and this is standard.

6. BoomTruckin

BoomTruckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Devon, Alberta
    I personally wouldn't go past 30 days. In construction, subcontractors were paid weekly or every 15 days. Only main contractors were paid every 30. If I had to wait 60 or 90 days to get paid my prices would double.

So what happens if they don't pay? It could fold some O/O.

7. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    I think most of the 'patch' sub-contractors are on a 60 day. I had a truck on an outfit where it was 75 days...n of course in the end they tried to screw me by saying I owed them for a bunch a bogus ##### and apparently I owed them $14 grand..haha...my exact last words to them are not allowed to be typed here haha

8. Mleeming

Mleeming Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2013
    That's to bad I would have liked to hear them, it's unfortunate these things are happening all the time to the owner operators and the government turn a blind eye, if a owner operator goes belly up, they are accused of not knowing how to manage there money. We made the mistake of buying a heavy spec truck to haul reefers, being our first truck, not giving the proper specs, the salesman knowingly knew what we needed the truck to haul, and acting stupid when it comes to axle weights ( he claimed to be a ex owner operator)when we purchased it. The company that hired on disregarded telling us what weights they needed, we are now stuck with a 2010 International Lonestar with 46000 lb rears and haven't been able to find work for it in a month. The carrier even walked us through the truck purchase. We sold our home to be closer to there lot in Acme. I heard that this wasn't the first time they hired on a owner operator with a heavy spec truck and then let them go. Every add they have posted for drivers does not post there specified truck weights. But dont worry they do feel bad,when they have to let you go. They were nice enough to reimburse us for their decals. Then they tell they don't push there drivers, but can you make it from Lethbridge AB to Shreveport La if you left Calgary on a Monday loaded in Lethbridge @ 8:00am and had an unloading time of 10:00 am Wednesday. Can you afford to say no? I am now looking at 2 jobs unfortunately the only 2 that could be bothered to reply to their own adds, one has a contract that only benefits them, doesn't say pay per mile, fuel cap is changed once a month (so they say, that isn't written on paper) all their benefits are given verbally. So I don't trust it. I have looked at trading the truck for lighter curb weight, Glover offered to trade ours for a 2009 international pro star, stating he listed it 66,000 but he wanted money on top, because he would have to pay out our financing at over 100,000, we looked at the add on his site they were asking 59,000 for that same truck. You have to be awfully stupid to fall for that crap. Needless to say we are learning the hard way, but what I do know I will never buy a truck through Glover, or Southland again, after the first trip with the truck, We took the truck in to get the clutch adjusted, to find out the clutch was seized, and it had apparently been that way for quit awhile, the mechanics at glover told us that they thought the Dpf had been removed but were not sure, and the cab air bag shocks were gone. We took it back to Southland the work done was over. 6,000 they agreed to pay half. When we got it back the transmission was leaking, took it back, they said they figured it was a seal from when they fixed the clutch, and after we picked it up we noticed it was still leaking, so we phoned them and told them we were not taking it back to Lethbridge, they agreed they would pay the cost of the repair, so we took it back to Glover, the mechanic figured that when Southland had fixed it the mechanic had used a air hammer on it and put a hole in transmission housing. That was another 3,000 bill for Southland. We were just lucky we noticed it, and I honestly don't believe they did not know they had put a hole in the housing and there was only 6 Litres of oil in the transmission. And they wonder why Owner Operators are going belly up.

9. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    90 Days???? That's not a "Holdback", it's a friggin' "Holdup".

Pullin2, flyguy35, dustinbrock and 2 others Thank this.
  10. metric adjustable

metric adjustable Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    dunno; gps is down
    A 90 day holdback (holy wow, Batman) means your money is sitting in their account three months collecting interest. Can't see any other reason to justify that long a holdback... imagine if they could do that to a few dozen o/o's.

11. Sarabeara

Sarabeara Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I've heard that when you are a independant contractor who owns your own trailer, and you are a contractor for oil companies like Suncor, I was recently told that pay holdbacks are 90 to 120 days. Thats really harsh. I couldnt afford to run that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.