Honest CRST experience

Discussion in 'CRST' started by John Dewart, Jan 2, 2016.

1. John Dewart

John Dewart Medium Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    I can't remember but I wanna say 11 or 12 maybe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    Dedicated is not for some. Especially the single guy or gal who wants to see the whole US but as far as a consistent check...higher pay (depending where you go and who you work for) it cannot be beat. I am finding more times than not...especially with returning vets like myself...we are tired of spending our lives away from home and want to marry and settle down. The OTR life is very hard on marriages. Like in the service...old Jody has your girl while one is out on the road ;)

John Dewart Thanks this.
  4. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    Oh I hear you there 100%. That's definitely good for men and women such as yourself. I've talked to a few Crst doubles drivers that do dedicated, and I guess some of them make pretty good money.
    I'm probably gonna go the land star route I think, I just need to find out what trucks I can use for them, I guess you have to have the electronic logging in your truck now? I know nothing about it, or hooking it up. Paper logs before Crst. I'm familiar around c15s c16 twins and 3406(b)s. Good enough to save some bucks. I have been trying to figure out what age limit landstar has, and what year trucks can support the electronic logging and all that jazz. So much misinformation out there I haven't even scratched the service

5. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    Word of advice.... DO NOT OWN....at least until you get some years in. You can make more by not owning in this day and age. Plus save yourself tons of headaches... Unless of course you have a stash of cash to outright buy your own truck....

John Dewart Thanks this.
  6. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    I have a stack of cash for an old one! Lol that's why I'm trying to figure out a little more about everything. I know this is gonna start some drama but here goes, I didn't go to any trucking company to start driving, I drove under my own authority for 2 years. Well 28 months. But whatever. I won't be able to get the right truck for a year or two anyway, I've been listening closely to o/os. Some of them pump them selves up and tell ya butt loads of garbage, but are flat ### broke, others not so much, just trying to distinguish the two is the hard part.

The Patriot Thanks this.
  7. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Canada, eh?

Going in was easy (never more than just a few minutes as long as paper work was pre-cleared. Used PARS at that time) and driving around Canada was great and awesome scenery to boot. Getting back into the police states was a nightmare crapshoot.

I now refuse to go there because crossing back into the states was such a pita. Sometimes 30min but when it takes 12-18hrs too many times you just gotta say f-u.

I didn't have cpat or fastrak(?) so maybe those would be key to have. My last crossing was at least 8 yrs ago so maybe I should just S.T.F.U.

Point is, research border crossing protocols/procedures well in advance to speed your crossing.

TA

8. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    Yea That's mainly why I wanted to get up there, I like exploring lol. I have no clue where to start regarding legalities, I gotta find a company first lol

9. Bro_Dave

Bro_Dave Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Landstar requires a truck with an electronic engine. Cannot be mechanical.

10. John Dewart

Jan 2, 2016
    Hartford, CT
    I thought I read somewhere you have to add an extra speed sensor and some other crap to run a ELD? I kinda ruled out mechanical trucks at this time (what a shame) but just for future reference

11. Bro_Dave

Bro_Dave Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Fuel mileage is pretty bad on those older mechanical engines.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.