How bad will CSA scores hurt my chances of renewing insurance?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by magellan, Oct 25, 2016.

1. magellan

magellan Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2016
    I just had my third inspection in 6 months.

I'm afraid of the points that will be added will be affecting my ability to attain insurance later.

So far I have had
    3 Log Book violations. (one which not putting the total hours for SB and Off Duty, I thought I read somewhere it was only required for on duty and Driving. 2 previous inspectors said nothing about this, but this last inspector did. Accurate? 1 mistake, I made logging a break at 8.5 hours, instead right before the 8 hours,)
    1 Overweight on an axle (thanks to the shipper loading everything on the nose of the trailer,)
    1 hose under my tractor chafing.
    US not being in front of the DOT number. I just had DOT# ####### (Crazy, I've been running 6 months and previous inspector didn't say anything. I get told they'll pull you over everytime for this and happened twice since.)

I'm 7 months in currently running under my own Auth.
    I see some of these legal representation places that say they will fight for the CSA scores and citations/tickets. Are any of these worth the fees they charge?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well, let me ask you this.

Did you CAT the scale after loading prior to hitting the big scalehouse that violated and fined you for the overweight? Im assuming there was a CAT or similar that would weigh you for a sawbuck rather than the big State facility that needs to expend resources to discover that shipper did not load correctly.

I would not worry too much about the hose or the DOT number, the way Dear Uncle Sam is fixing to do away with those DOT numbers, your worries about that will be all over once they pass the final rule.

The logs. You store them 6 months and they go away right? Just add forms that are for Carriers to document the violations and burn em in your wood stove to provide warm and fuzzies to your work force during the worst of winter that is coming 6 months from now.

Insurance? Try to come up with a way to be self insured if possible. Many carriers are. Maybe Im talking about stuff I know nothing about, but self insured carriers have more freedom and money than those who do not.

I hope this helps a little bit.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Of course he didn't scale x1. He's too busy blaming everyone for his mistakes instead of learning from them. Hopefully he'll be uninsurable before he ends up killing someone as "I've never been told not to."

5. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Your insurance will not cancel, but might go up.

Learn to advoid the DOT, and the scales. Bypass them.

6. magellan

magellan Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    There's been a lot to learn in this industry and sure it doesn't stop anytime soon. Just trying my best to stay afloat and learn from the guys have been in the game much longer. I'll just leave it at that.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Many years DOT is a paper tiger. Witness Arkansas they had the scale areas that grew weeds and grass for over a decade or more. Nothing. Maybe they will do a push inspection but it's easily bypassed. Basically anything but 40 and three days later they go home.

It's a shame our State is such a paper tiger with DOT but then again... you gotta wonder.

The only other states with effective DOT was California, WY, LA, MD, VA, NC and Fla as well as NY. Everything else is wide open. Enjoy!

8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Unless he is very wealthy, I don't see how he would ever self insure. I mean you have to have millions in the bank. Only carriers that self insure are worth millions, if not billions. Now this is talking about liability insurance. I guess you could say I self insure to a extent because I don't carry anything but liability. All my trucks are older and paid for so I can afford to do that. Most lenders require you to have full coverage to protect their lien so you have to have your truck paid for.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    You can reduce your rate by having a high deductible. Instead of $1,000 go to $10,000 or $50,000.
    That's more savings than I care to risk. But your rate will be cheaper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.