How do I go about getting experience?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ewa1980, May 23, 2013.

1. ewa1980

ewa1980 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Markham, On
    I got my DZ over a year ago, learned to drive a truck and manual at the same time and passed the ministry test in Woodbrige. I saw that everywhere wanted experience so I decided the best to just drive a 72 passenger bus for that, so now I have my BZ as well (but I DO NOT want to drive a bus), but besides being really good at getting into tight spaces, backing up, and just driving a long vehicle well in general, I still see that I need actual truck experience..and I am aiming at a dump truck job.
    I am still driving the bus right now, but by July REALLY want a truck job, I was wondering how other people got their experience.
    I don't even care about pay right now..but I don't think it's legal to just let someone work for free..or is it?
    if it is I will walk (well drive) to every yard and tell them I will work for free for experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Try starting at the gravel pits north of your area , they hire drivers to run dump trucks from the crushers / screeners to the stockpiles at least its a start " and you will not work for FREE '

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. ewa1980

ewa1980 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Markham, On
    Do you know any names? or locations?
    and thanks....

ok...just googled gravel pit and got a bunch around stouffville

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Please do not go to places and tell them you will work for free ... that will lead to something very bad ... What happens when you have "enough" experience, as determined by you or them? and then you decide you should now be paid a fair market wage? Why wouldn't they just boot you out the door and get the next person just like you that wants experience and will work for free? It would be doing a disservice to all drivers if you were to go to work for free.

Are you looking to get into dump truck work or OTR or ? The reason I ask is because an insurance company may not accept dump truck experience as worth anything if you later go to apply for an OTR job.

6. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Do not offer to work for free. Drivers rates are low enough. That's all this industry needs is volunteer drivers.

7. FLATBED

In ONTARIO CANADA the min wage is $10.25 / hour

8. Raamman

Raamman Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Airbase Two
    and pay is way lower than that for otr drivers

9. FLATBED

Shes not looking for OTR but looking at someplace to get erxperience in a DUMP TRUCK , others advised not to work for free so the I posted the ONT min wage.

And if you did the math that @ 0.30 / mile averaging 55 MPH would equal $16.50 / hour for driving.

10. Raamman

Raamman Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Airbase Two
    sounds ideal doesn't it ? that's what I thought too when I got in; but most runs start with a pick up, so a few hours at the client to get loaded, rush hour traffic nightmares and traffic back ups, construction, then you have to start looking for a place to stop so you don't go over your allotted hours, next day at the client after getting unloaded for a bit wait for next dispatch....oh, and the miles are never actual driven miles are they ? so a 14 day week where I drove each and every day, lived in the truck 24 hours each day- do the math 336 hours away from home family friends etc, I would see less than $800 canadian. lets do that math... $2.38 per hour. Im finished with otr. done and gone. never again.

11. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Its not all its cracked up to be. Its a dogs life for the most part. But everyone has a choice and alot of up choose the life. We can sit and complain but that apparently hasn't worked for many of us. Keep on trucking and hope we find that dream gig and be happy truckers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.