How do I go about getting experience?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ewa1980, May 23, 2013.

1. Quebecus

Quebecus Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Hi,
    This is my story. Seeing how you already have your license, I will skip to the driving part. I had just received my class 1 license, and had no experience on tractor trailer, although I was familiar with the shifting having driven 5 tons before. I got a list, using the phone book, of all the local food distributors, and one by one, I just showed up there. I was maybe a little daft, but I usually rang the reception bell around the docks/loading area. Out of about 10 places, only 1 gave place gave me a hard time. Most we pretty good guys, and sent me to the supervisor/manage/whatever his title. Finally this one guy gave me a shot. He ran a small outfit of 7 trucks. He put me on a 28foot pup and daycab, and oh boy, oh boy was I happy! What a nice story, right. Hmmm not that easy. This was grunt work.
    Usually starting around 5 o'clock, I would come in and load my truck, on an exterior dock. Then,2 hours later, I took whatever tractor I was assigned to,hooked up, and left. Then I would go into the city and deliver restaurants and hotels.But not the fancy ones...about 15-20 drops. Food service distribution. It would be hard work, and I would work up a sweat at each and every customer. No driver helper.And I still had it easy-ish, because I had mostly boxes, and no flour or sugar pouches.
    So I think a lot of these food service places would give a chance to a new driver. They might expect physical work in return, and maybe even give a lower then average pay.They might not dedicate you a truck,or make you load your own stuff, but experience is gained. And, in my opinion, nothing will teach you the tricks of the trade like driving in the city, although this is debatable, right Highway guys? :)
    Hope this helps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PhrozenStar

PhrozenStar Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2013
    that's actually not a bad idea.

4. trucktick

trucktick Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Quebecus : That's a good idea. I've recently tried something like that except I didn't just go to food shippers. I'll agree that everyone was decent about pointing me in the right direction, but when I got to the person (manager, HR rep, dispatcher- who got to do the hiring of the drivers he dispatched, WOW!) they just couldn't/ didn't want to take a chance on a new to trucking guy. But I'm gonna keep trying that way because at least I get something out of it, unlike applying online and never getting an answer.

Phrozenstar: Sorry it took a while to respond. Nope haven't found work yet (see above) anyone new looking to start with temps. there is a small problem there. In the last 3 weeks I have been to four(4) different agancies. All in different cities in the Golden Horseshoe. They were either currently or had recently(like in the last month) advertising for truckers with 7months-1year experience. When I went to apply everything went very well until they asked for references (3 or 4) . Not a problem I have four good ones. Was a problem that none are for truck driving. Was told by two of the agencies that "they require 3 references of at least 6 months job experience from the direct supervisor only(not two or three from same job)". How are you going to get 18 months exp. in 12 months? or even better, in 7? The other two agencies were okay with only one truck driving reference, but had to be at least 6 months. So if anyone brand new to this industry is thinking about going with temp agencies you're probably gonna need someone to give you a foot in the door or go direct to the employer/job provider that hires THROUGH the agency and get them to like you so much that they call the temp service up and say "we're sending (your name here) over, do the paperwork on them, except the references, and send them to work for us."(that does happen, I've worked in a temp office before)

gokiddogo: Hells yeah I'd relocate to drive a truck! It's what I've wanted to do for the last 14 years! I finally got the opportunity to get my DZ (to start - want to get my AZ eventually) and now I'm trying to find somewhere to start! I'm in the same situation as Phrozenstar, no ties, no distractions, willing and able to get the hell outta here for paying work ( a.k.a. fun and profit:biggrin_25525:)

5. Quebecus

Quebecus Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2012
  6. trucktick

trucktick Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Merci Quebecus, but Phrozenstar and I have our class 3. If we had our class 1 we'd be working already (Schneider is always looking for people 'clean' people who can shift and cross the border)

7. Freightshaker613

Freightshaker613 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Have you guys thought about garbage? You can make a decent buck and only ever need your D. Usually good benefits and pension as well. Bit of work and stink involved though. Just a thought!

8. Freightshaker613

Freightshaker613 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Lmao sorry guys just finished reading all the posts. The thought was there though :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.