How do I Hire an Owner Operator to Move My Household?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by etc1, May 2, 2016.

1. etc1

etc1 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2016
    I need to move and am considering hiring an owner operator instead of using a moving company to save money. Can anyone give advice on how to find and hire an owner operator for an interstate move...thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you going to hire a crew to load the truck?
    How big is your house?
    Will all your possessions be packed and ready to be loaded when truck arrives?
    How long will it take to load trailer?

I'll tell you there is nothing more frustrating than arriving at an office move, and the customer does not have everything packed. Then they say "Well, I thought you could move it like it is."

Why not rent a truck or two and move it yourself?

TequilaSunrise, ExOTR and Hype6477 Thank this.
  4. Hype6477

Hype6477 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    Like @Bakerman said why not rent a truck hire some day laborers ? Typically when people try to cut corners it doesn't work out well so O/O stay away.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  5. Get a pod load it or. Goto ABF for a pod. They deliver they pickup and drop off.

ExOTR Thanks this.
  6. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Most owner operators will likely need $2.00 a mile(more if the trip is short or leaves them in a bad area for the next freight) and $100/hr detention pay if it takes longer than 3/hrs to load or unload the truck, provided that they don't have to touch the freight. Sorry if I bursted your bubble. Equipment costs are high.

7. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Most owner operators can't call haul your belongings, legally.

8. Mikesee

Mikesee Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Personally I respectfully decline customers who state in any form or fashion 'Trying to save money' during initial conversations. Fully understand where they are coming from but I can't negotiate the price of a gallon of milk at the supermarket. Choosing your customers wisely is an important part of my business.

Hype6477, TequilaSunrise and upallnite Thank this.
  9. etc1

etc1 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2016
    Thanks to all who have replied. I called ABF U-Pack and was quoted $2,800 for a 28' trailer to be dropped then transported to my destination. As a couple of you suggested, I plan to hire a couple day laborers to load the trailer. I thought ABF's price was too much for a 28' trailer to be transported 440 miles. Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you rent a truck from Penske ryder or U-Haul it will cost you less than $700 for the trip.

Plus the cost of labor to help load and unload.

11. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.