How hard is it to get employed by FedEx or UPS ?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Giuseppe Ventolucci, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Giuseppe Ventolucci Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2015
    How much experience is it required? How much is the pay and is it worth it ?

I'm interested in FedEx, seems they have nice equipment, but idk...

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    UPS Parcel is almost impossible to get in because everything is promoted from within. They do occasionally hire off the street. Pay starts off around $18 and it takes 4 years to reach top rate ehich is $36. UPS Freight you need 2 years experience in ordet to be qualified and you have to pass a road test as well. Pay starts off around $17 and it also takes 4 years as well to reach top rate which is close to $29. Both are around .80 cents per mile top rate when paid by mileage.

Fed Ex Freight is a bit different. From what I was told, normally you start off around $23-24 and you top out around $26-27, and you need 2 years experience in oder to be qualified, but their starting to train people off the docka now, and some terminals are union. So I would imagine the union drivers get paid more than non union. Fed Ex Ground is a completely different animal.

And by the way, I thought you were happy at your current job?

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  4. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    depends how big your market is...my city is 1 million, and theres never a ups job open..In Phoenix right now, 6 million people, there are no driver openings at all....
    Fed Ex much easier....But you know what? I seen alot of fed ex drivers, and none of them seem that dang happy...I mean,the job is there, but, they are seem soul-less...I dunno, may just me...lol
    Any of the LTL's can be good or bad in your town...need to visit them all, talk to at least 2 drivers..dont focus on name of company

5. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Nov 29, 2015
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

I'm happy where I am. I got all my endorsements here, I learned to pull doubles here and I won the bid for the route that I love the most.

Having said all of that, lately I had a problem with the co-worker that lost the bid. Last week he came inches to punching my face, he insinuated he was going to hit me, but didn't have the guts to do it.
    Next day everybody found out, mostly everybody is giving me support, even the dock workers, I wrote a statement cause it's not the first time we argue and had problems.

That's the only problem I have here, but I'm also always looking for a better oportunity

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  6. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    UPS Parcel's wages are dependent upon the contractual supplement, in our area the rate is over $38/hr. BUT... it's the Holy Grail of driving jobs and nearly impossible to land full time. They'll hire for "peak season" at a drastically reduced rate, I've done several holidays with them and it's by far the easiest gig you'll ever land. The pay cut for part time is #### hard to swallow, however. Also, UPS Parcel will rule, regulate, and manage you to death. Some folks can't deal with that.

I think Fed Ex Freight is a good opportunity, but I'm unfamiliar with their rates of pay.

Fed Ex Ground is contracted out to individual owners so I'm guessing your pay package would be predicated on how good the contractor would be.

Giuseppe Ventolucci Thanks this.
  7. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Nov 29, 2015
    You know... What you say it's true. I always see the FedEx guy in my area, we always going to almost the same places in a daily basis. I haven't really talked to him yet, he seems cool, but not necessarily happy... Idk, could be all the stress of delivering and having enough time to do pick ups on time

8. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Nov 29, 2015
    Those are the straight trucks, yes ?? I don't want to be the next "King of Queens". I want to continue my career as a real truck driver

9. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    No, Sir. I'm referring to the "feeder" positions that are similar to "linehaul" in the LTL freight biz. I pulled doubles most of the time to other UPS facilities when I worked their "peak". Once in a while I'd pull longboxes, sometimes to bulk customers like Cabelas.

Like I said, good gig if you can get full time. I hung in there for about 7 seasons as a part timer to supplement my income and I couldn't even SMELL a full time position. I usually would only work a day here or there when I was off from my regular job. Sometimes I'd take a week's vacation to work at Brown...gotta pay for the kids' college somehow, lol. I was invited back last year but only took one trip.

10. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Nov 29, 2015
    Ouch... Sounds extremely difficult to get in. I'll try FedEx with the arrow in the middle. Sounds like a more realistic option. Although , for $17 an hour, I'd have to pass

Pintlehook Thanks this.
  11. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I know Fed Ex has an express division. Whenever I pickup Amazon loads at theif fulfillment centers, it's the express guys that pickup the loads. They drive daycab single screws, and I think they top off around $30.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.