How much did your last in-frame cost?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Krooser, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    It was head gasket. But I'll let PT tell you the whole story. I only talked to him a little bit today.

josh.c Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Well it started out as just a head gasket:biggrin_25513:. The head gasket and #6 liner were replaced less than 3 months and 25,000 miles ago by Ohio CAT in Perrysburg, OH (my home stealership) due to it being blown out between the rear 2 head bolts. Fast forward to 8 days ago and it blows out again at the rear of the block and on the #4 cylinder. Alban CAT in Winchester (Clear Brook, VA) has been doing the work and found that #6 was high (even after it was cut during the first headgasket) and #4 dropped. When #4 dropped it took out the fire ring and left a groove in the head. Basically I got the shaft from Ohio CAT and little from corporate CAT. They are covering $4100 of the now estimated $13,458 (and growing) bill. The original bill from the first head gasket was $4240...I wanted that amount plus all the needed machine work paid for, but I was basically told by corporate and Ohio CAT to go pound sand. Even after I pointed out some very big lapses in Ohio CAT's work I got the story of "well it's just simple part failure."

The bright spot is Alban CAT there in Winchester has been the best place (besides Bully Dog and their dealer) that I have dealt with in years. I will definetly deal with them in the future and I have Mr. Haney to thank for refering me to them. My hat goes off to you again Haney...you're the man.

josh.c Thanks this.
  4. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    Well lame. Pretty frustrating to spend that much on something just to get it working the way it should've been in the first place.

5. 67tempest

67tempest Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2011
    I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the shop in KY .... i am looking into having an infame overhaul on my 3406e cat... thanks , Ray

6. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    He's in between Harrogate and LaFollatte, TN, I've apparently lost his number, I'll send you a PM when I find it.

7. nsane4

nsane4 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2010
    abingdon va

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  8. Wildcat74

Wildcat74 Medium Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Has anyone done a 12.7 Detroit recently? Looking at a Pete with a 430hp 12.7 that's right at 1M miles so I'm guessing that it may need an inframe in the near future and would like to know what it may run me. The price is right on the truck if the inframe isn't outrageous.

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Had my bxs acert done in February. New bearings, oil pump, cylinder packs, head, injectors, water pump, turbos, compressor. Rebuilt jakes, iva's, fan clutch. All new coolant hoses and tubes. Four year unlimited mileage. All for the low price of $30,700.

Had I known then what I know now I would have just bought a new C-16 pre-emission crate motor instead. Next time I guess.

10. Wildcat74

Wildcat74 Medium Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Omaha, NE
  11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    There is something to be said for the plug an play method. Just getting a remanned engine and swapping engines out. Saves on wondering if everything got done, reduces downtime, etc. Maybe a little more up front, but having a 3 yr / 300,000 mile OEM warranty like a new engine is a nice plus. And while the engine is swapped out, one can do the clutch or whatever at the same time if needed. I was at a NPower Cummins in Eau Claire recently and priced just for grins. Pricing for a recon ISX engine swapped out was not much more than having my engine totally rebuilt as priced by the independent shop I use in Des Moines. Ballpark $25,000 including labor. No parts switching except AC and alternator. Complete engine, turbo, new motor mounts, etc. If I were keeping this truck, I would just do the plug and play method.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.