How much of a problem is my work history going to be?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BeanDip, Jun 2, 2015.

1. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    I worked for the same company from 1/4/1996 to 11/6/2009 (Layed off after 13 years, 10 months)
    Lived on savings/odd jobs, wife's income and unemployment 11/6/2009 to 1/15/2012 (2 years, 2 months)
    Currently working as a sub-contractor for the same company from 1/15/2012 to 7/31/2015 (Job ends on July 31st. 3 years, 6 months total)

I have 1099s and a letter from current employment.
    The nearly 14 years at the same company is easily verified.
    What about my 2 years of unemployment?

Is my work history going to be a problem for Prime, Swift, Roehl, or Millis?

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Reason for edit: Typos and spelling
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    I think you're ok. Probably have to try and account for that 2 year stretch, but honestly, you're a lot more stable than a lot of people coming in.

BeanDip Thanks this.
  4. BeanDip

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    Thanks, Joseph. Would IRS tax transcripts account for the 2 years?
    Is this going to be an issue after I get my year in and want to move to a better company, say Lessor's maybe? :biggrin_255:

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Lol. They're ok..... They certainly have their moments.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I had 3 years of being (voluntarily) unemployed. Had an inheiritance and wanted to enjoy it while still releatively young.mAll I had to do was provide names and numbers of a couple people that could verify what I was doing. Like not being a drug dealer, etc. Was no problem with anyone.

7. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    The more important question OP is......Why the he77 would you want to jump into the stress and aggravation of this industry when you can stay home and continue to live off of your "Sugar Mama"??!?

o_O:D

browndawg Thanks this.
  8. FuzzFace2

FuzzFace2 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Angier, N.C.
    Some times you just have to get away from "Sugar Mama"!

Wife and I moved back first of April 2015. She has not worked since Oct 2014 me Apr 2015, living off her layoff pay, what was left over from selling our house and buying this new one and some savings.
    I have started to look for a job as we are getting on each others nerves.
    Beside it is nice to get up everyday and HAVE something to do other than "do I want to do that today or......."
    What is nice we are in a place where I can pick the type of job and who I want to drive for, not "I have to get this job" (I don't like) to pay bills.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it ;)
    Dave ----

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  9. avenger79

avenger79 Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS
    as long as you apply right away after this job ends you will be fine. they will want an account of your time off but more important is the last 3 years working. Millis is that way anyway

BeanDip Thanks this.
  10. BeanDip

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    You taking a poke at me? I've never had anyone refer to my wife (with her limited part-time income) as my "Sugar Mama". As a proud, hard-working man, I take pride in providing for my family. I've worked full time all my adult life (aside from that 2 year period 3.5 years ago). To imply that my wife was my "Sugar Mama" is a blow to my pride.

Beside's, if she would have made more than part-time money teaching writing at the local community college, I might have been able to live of my "Sugar Mama".

Meh. Not really. I'd still have to look at myself in the mirror everyday. A man has to have pride in himself.

RookieJ1987, cglascoe01 and Mudguppy Thank this.
  11. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I'd say any company that would cry about stuff that is years old is a company you didn't want to work for to begin with. My response would be to ask them if they would be working right now if they didn't have to? Nothing like an open ended suicide question. But that's me, I'm a ######## with a low tolerance for stupid.

This language filter really needs to be tweaked! You'd think I just said something bad!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.