How to clean oil off the deck?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Lepton1, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Short of getting a chemical wash at Blue Beacon after hauling a load of oil equipment, what would you recommend to clean areas of a flatbed with oil, fracking mud, or other chemicals? I try to limit the number of times I take the truck through the wash, this means I end up with areas that can be slippery or start tracking oil over the deck and catwalk, not to mention in the driver's seat well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Other than sand, cat litter, oil dry, or a wash... the only way to fight oil is with oil. I'd broom the deck with diesel after a nasty load. It wouldn't leave it super slippery and washes off easier when it gets back to the barn with a hot water steam bath. <-- I'm sure there are EPA issues and other no-no's to this, so this was a suggestion from a friend of a friend of mine ;)

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    You could probably spread some oil dry and sweep it around...should get it but it'll take an hour or so to do a good job. Personally, I would have it washed. They'll get it clean and deal with epa.

5. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Thing is, if I washed the deck every time I get a 3' diameter oil stain, I'd be spending hundreds a week. Meanwhile I just try to avoid walking on it or putting dunnage on it and sometimes it will dry to a gelatinous goup.

I hadn't thought of putting diesel down, but if the point is to fight oil with oil then maybe Palmolive (an oil based detergent) might work.

6. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Nascar uses Tide to clean up after a bad wreck..as I understand it. For small spots like that..3ft dia... I would probably just carry some oil dry unless you've already tried it and didn't like it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
  8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Okay, say I use Tide, how do I clean it off the deck without hosing it onto a truck stop lot?

9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Buy a batch of oil dry diapers. Throw the half used ones in a plastic bag to reuse for big spills. Their cheap if you find the right place to buy them

10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    When I hauled stuff like that, I used a 2 gallon sprayer filled with straight simple green and cat litter. cheaper the better on the litter. spray the spot, toss on a handful or two of cat litter, by the time you put the sprayer away and get the broom, it will have done its work. scrub around a bit and sweep up put into trash bag for tossing at shop.

This worked for me, maybe it can for you

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Now THAT sounds like a plan. I'm pulling a mixed load of totes, some Hazmat. The good news is the Hazmat totes are fine. The bad news is the shipper decided to load 6 empty totes, reposition me, then pump the empty totes full of a non-Hazmat mess. Nice plan, but I now have gallons drying on the deck and my straps.

Sometimes you gotta love this job in order to love this job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.